Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

Planning a portable mATX build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Afrodisiac2 View Post
    Are you not bothered by the recent GTX 970 3.5GB/0.5GB debacle? I have a GTX 970 myself and I think it's a great card, just wondering. If I had to buy one today maybe I'd go for a GTX 980 instead.
    I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, its still a good card, but on the other hand Nvidia clearly advertised this with false specs.

I'm hoping there will be a partial refund or free game of some sort because the other specs of the 970: power consumption, noise, performance, etc are perfect.
    sigpic
    [SIZE="3"][B]
    "SANDY ELITE" - Intel Sandy Bridge 2500K w/ XSPC raystorm waterblock - ASUS P8P67 Pro B3- 8GB G.SKILL Sniper - Sapphire HD7970 w/ Heatkiller Core LC waterblock - Fractal Define R3 Black - Seasonic X460FL Passive - 2 Samsung SSD830 128gb RAID 0 - XSPC RX360 - XSPC Bayres w/ D5 pump - Rosewill Hyperborea fans - Dell U2713HM - Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by billdcat4 View Post
      I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, its still a good card, but on the other hand Nvidia clearly advertised this with false specs.I'm hoping there will be a partial refund or free game of some sort because the other specs of the 970: power consumption, noise, performance, etc are perfect.
      Even AMD's offer to give a steep discount on people with GTX 970 problems probably won't sway me because the GTX 970 is basically perfect. EVGA was nice enough to offer me an extended step-up period (I've owned the card since September) but its an expensive step-up to the GTX 980, and that's way overkill at 1080p (my resolution). The GTX 970 is overkill at 1080p. I play Shadow of Mordor, Borderlands TPS, Alien Isolation, with everything turned up as high as they can possibly go and the fan doesn't even ramp up.

Comment

Even AMD's offer to give a steep discount on people with GTX 970 problems probably won't sway me because the GTX 970 is basically perfect. EVGA was nice enough to offer me an extended step-up period (I've owned the card since September) but its an expensive step-up to the GTX 980, and that's way overkill at 1080p (my resolution). The GTX 970 is overkill at 1080p. I play Shadow of Mordor, Borderlands TPS, Alien Isolation, with everything turned up as high as they can possibly go and the fan doesn't even ramp up.
        Do you experience any coil whine with your EVGA GTX 970?
        sigpic
        [SIZE="3"][B]
        "SANDY ELITE" - Intel Sandy Bridge 2500K w/ XSPC raystorm waterblock - ASUS P8P67 Pro B3- 8GB G.SKILL Sniper - Sapphire HD7970 w/ Heatkiller Core LC waterblock - Fractal Define R3 Black - Seasonic X460FL Passive - 2 Samsung SSD830 128gb RAID 0 - XSPC RX360 - XSPC Bayres w/ D5 pump - Rosewill Hyperborea fans - Dell U2713HM - Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by billdcat4 View Post
          Do you experience any coil whine with your EVGA GTX 970?
          No. It's not an ACX 2.0 one, it's one of the first run ACX 1.0 ones. Vanilla model.

Comment

Everything aside from the GPU and the heatsink mounting kit are here.

I'll post a build log in a couple of days.
            sigpic
            [SIZE="3"][B]

Comment

I've seen lots of articles about AMD's "offer" but nothing official that states specifically what that offer is.

And I agree, the 970 is still a great card. The benchmarks don't lie - even with its less-than-advertised specs it's still great performance at its price point. But I wouldn't be as upset if GPU identification software like GPU-Z showed the correct VRAM amounts, and the actual number of shaders and ROPs. But as it is it smacks of a cover-up and I find it despicable. Not enough to actually DO anything about it at this point - because I do love my cards - but this may factor into my purchasing decisions down the road.

Gaming: i5 2500k @ 4.8GHz | EVGA P67 FTW | 16GB | SLI MSI GTX 970s | 240GB Corsair Force 3, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO, 500GB Velociraptor | Modded 800D | DIY H20 | Windows 8.1
              Linux: i5 3450 | Gigabyte H77 | 16GB | Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition | 120GB Vertex 3 MI (boot), 3 x 3TB WD Red (ZFS RAID-Z) | Fractal Design Arc Mini | Arch Linux
              HTPC/Steambox: Athlon II X2 260 | Gigabyte 880G | GT 720 | 4GB | 500GB WD Blue | Silverstone SG02 | Arch Linux + Kodi + Steam

Comment

Originally posted by YMAA View Post
                I've seen lots of articles about AMD's "offer" but nothing official that states specifically what that offer is. And I agree, the 970 is still a great card. The benchmarks don't lie - even with its less-than-advertised specs it's still great performance at its price point. But I wouldn't be as upset if GPU identification software like GPU-Z showed the correct VRAM amounts, and the actual number of shaders and ROPs. But as it is it smacks of a cover-up and I find it despicable. Not enough to actually DO anything about it at this point - because I do love my cards - but this may factor into my purchasing decisions down the road.
                I'm essentially in the same boat. Intellectually I understand Nvidia did something shady, but as a weekend gamer I'm finding it hard to be truly upset because I like my GTX 970. My next upgrade won't be for another half decade, so who knows what happens until then.

Comment

Are you not bothered by the recent GTX 970 3.5GB/0.5GB debacle? I have a GTX 970 myself and I think it's a great card, just wondering. If I had to buy one today maybe I'd go for a GTX 980 instead.
                  I'm not concerned with that particular debacle. The card does perform well in most things, as well as using less power which results in lower heat emitted. For my main use, folding, the GTX970 produces significantly less PPD than the GTX980, so I wouldn't buy a 970 again. A big problem FAH said is the drivers, which don't work with the latest FAH projects. The really strange thing is that the older GTX7xx cards handle the latest FAH projects without any trouble.

I'm rather skeptical about the explanation that FAH has given. Unless the coding for the latest projects has been changed, I see no reason that a project that will work with a GTX7xx card would not work with a GTX9xx card. In addition, the earlier core 17 and 18 projects worked fine with the GTX9xx cards, so why not use the same coding on the later projects to engage the cards? Admittedly, I'm far from an expert on such matters, but I think there's more than meets the eye here.
                  Over 60- Seen it, Done it, Can't remember it, but I miss it.
                  The great economist Milton Friedman once observed, "Many people want government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.
                  Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else.
                  Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito - Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it:

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/sailer...ang?fu=2315423

Comment

Working...
                  X