Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

AMD FTW for low-$ gaming laptop, now.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FTW for low-$ gaming laptop, now.....

Kaveri, now for laptops.

Want gaming?

Can do.

Without discrete gpu. Over 30 fps:

As expected, in most of the tests the Kaveri APU is able to surpass the gaming performance of every other iGPU, and in some cases it even comes moderately close to a discrete mainstream dGPU. There's a sizeable gap between the Trinity/Richland APUs and Kaveri in most of the games I tested, which is great news for those looking for a laptop that won't break the bank but can still run most modern games.
    AnandTech Portal | AMD Launches Mobile Kaveri APUs

The budget conscious can take the savings vs an intel machine, and get better system performance for the same total $$, by putting in a SSD:

Take the $100 savings for the same overall cpu performance, still get far better graphics performance, play games on it, and use the $100 savings for a SSD.

For the budget conscious laptop buyer who wants to game, AMD is the obvious choice at the moment.
    Last edited by halbhh; 06-16-2014, 09:29 AM.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds -- Emerson
    On Earth, what goes up tends to come down.

Here's more at my blog:
    http://findingourdream.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Anandtech, in the article that you should all go read :-P.
    "When you're saving $50-$100 by using an AMD APU instead of an Intel CPU, the mindset often becomes, "Where else can we save money?"
    This philosophy is probably what is hurting AMD in the mobile computing space more than anything. It seems to me that most manufacturers have adopted an "AMD is for the bottom tiers" ideology so they take high performing APU's with a lot of capability and all the performance that everyday users and even gamers on a budget need, then deliberately pair these parts in inferior power hungry components and low grade cooling solutions that result in the pc performing like crap and dying early (Yay more E-Waste)! The same thing happens with the core i3 and pentium CPU's too, but as an overall package the AMD APU's are far superior chips. At this point I'm just echoing Anandtech so I'll stop.

Originally posted by halbhh View Post
    Take the $100 savings for the same overall cpu performance, still get far better graphics performance, play games on it, and use the $100 savings for a SSD.
    This is a fantastic idea and for someone like you who knows a thing or two about computers it's definitely the right choice. But this shouldn't be an option, it should be standard. In fact it should be an m.2 or mSata SSD and they should leave the HDD bay available for expansion.

Consumers by-and-large don't know how to add a component to their computer and opening the customer access panel is akin to popping the hood on their car, they usually take it to someone and have them do it. Meaning that most consumers on a budget won't opt for an SSD and will probably be dissatisfied with the performance of their computer. When that happens, the two places they will lay the blame will be on the brand name and CPU/APU manufacturer. If the bay were empty, it might be less intimidating if all you had to do was add a component to an empty bay and then your OS would handle the rest making an AMD based platform even more attractive.

That dissatisfaction can be compounded too by Intel/Nvidia's still aggressive push of their combination platform which is nearly perfect since the GeForce GPU's can be completely powered down and Intel's CPU's have better performance/watt. I think for a while, regardless of AMD's efforts it is likely that AMD's laptop market share losses will continue like they demonstrated in February. Who knows there could be another conspiracy like the Athlon 64 one with Intel giving secret rebates and deals to prevent AMD from regaining ground.

In any case I hope I'm completely WRONG about all of this and AMD takes about 20% of the market share from Intel and levels the mobile playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by Suavey View Post
      .... But this [SSD] shouldn't be an option, it should be standard. In fact it should be an m.2 or mSata SSD and they should leave the HDD bay available for expansion.

Consumers by-and-large don't know how to add a component to their computer and opening the customer access panel is akin to popping the hood on their car, they usually take it to someone and have them do it. Meaning that most consumers on a budget won't opt for an SSD and will probably be dissatisfied with the performance of their computer. When that happens, the two places they will lay the blame will be on the brand name and CPU/APU manufacturer. If the bay were empty, it might be less intimidating if all you had to do was add a component to an empty bay and then your OS would handle the rest making an AMD based platform even more attractive.

That dissatisfaction can be compounded too by Intel/Nvidia's still aggressive push of their combination platform which is nearly perfect since the GeForce GPU's can be completely powered down and Intel's CPU's have better performance/watt. I think for a while, regardless of AMD's efforts it is likely that AMD's laptop market share losses will continue like they demonstrated in February. Who knows there could be another conspiracy like the Athlon 64 one with Intel giving secret rebates and deals to prevent AMD from regaining ground.

In any case I hope I'm completely WRONG about all of this and AMD takes about 20% of the market share from Intel and levels the mobile playing field.
      Some good points. I wonder about typical battery life -- one of the real bottom lines for most people. Since typical laptops will spend *most* of the on-time in idle states, it is the idle power draw that is the most central of all (of course, along with whether the manufacturer gives the laptop a decent battery)....

Will the APU idle power draw be highly competitive?

I'll be looking for that. Within 10% is really parity, in practical terms. If you have a competitive price *and* decent battery life for typical use, you have a machine attractive on the fundamentals. Then it would only be marketing and availability left to nail down......

I'm optimistic. Even though I've liked our almost 3 yr old intel B940 laptop (with modest graphics that are ok (not great) for HD movies.....)..... If I can get so much more for a decent price, it will be AMD next.

Has AMD overcome, now, the misperception of inferior performance they ironically had even when they were the leader way back in 05....?
      Last edited by halbhh; 06-18-2014, 04:04 PM.
      A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds -- Emerson
      On Earth, what goes up tends to come down.

Here's more at my blog:
      http://findingourdream.blogspot.com/

Comment

I still use my Lenovo x120e with its e350 APU to save cycles from my ultrabook.

There is no way in hell the x120e is useable without an SSD.
        "Katyr Pro+" Phenom II X6 1090T| Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3| EVGA GTX 660 2GB| 12GB DDR3| Samsung 830 128GB| WD Caviar Blue 750GB| Antec TruePower 650W| CoolerMaster N200 case| 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2311H| Win7
        "Sophia" Thinkpad Yoga| Core i3 4010U| Intel HD 4400| 4GB DDR3| Samsung 830 128GB| Intel 2x2 7260 802.11ac| 12.5" IPS semi-matte display| Wacom digitiser| Win8.1 U1
        "Scoot" Black Nexus 5 D820 32GB| Android 5.1.1
        "Cheyenne" Black Lumia 532 8GB| Sandisk 64GB| Win8.1| Sennheiser CX 300-II

Comment

Working...
        X