Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

P5K Deluxe Heat Pipe Removal

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P5K Deluxe Heat Pipe Removal

The first thing I did when the box arrived was pull off the heat pipe assembly to water cool the Northbridge.
    I almost hated to remove the pipes because they looked impressive.

Removing the pipes using a small pair of needle nose pliers
    squeeze the plastic push pins and they pop out

The Southbridge is a little harder to remove without distorting the pipe assembly.
    Use a flat blade screwdriver and pry gently with a rubber block for leverage and you’ll safely remove the assembly without incident

Clean up is easy and only took a little 91%alcohol
    I use Artic Ceramique in the chipsets and Artic Silver on the CPU (not micro polished just leveled and lapped)
    If you Lap your CPU to a high polished finish use Ceramique for best results

Heat pipe removed

Install an aftermarket chipset cooler to the Southbridge and a cooler for the bare bank of mosfets
    I robbed the heat pipe from my P5B Deluxe

Water blocks installed and mission accomplished

Good guide.

No GPU watercooling lovin'?
    "Never skimp on the Power Supply" -Me

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCain View Post
      Good guide.

No GPU watercooling lovin'?
      GPU cooling coming soon

Comment

Nice work.

Sticked and put on the front page. Kudos.
        1: Main Rig - eVGA Classified SR-2 | 2 x Xeon X5670 @ 4.05GHz | 12GB Mushkin PC3-1600 DDR3 | OCZ IBIS 240GB RAID SSD | ATI Radeon 5770 1GB | Dual Dell 3007WFP-HC Monitors
        2: Server - eVGA X58 SLI | L5640 @ 4GHz | 6GB OCZ PC3-1866 DDR3 | Intl X25-M G2 80GB OS Drive | 6 x 1.5TB Seagate 7200.11 RAID 10

Comment

What did you use to cut and seal the heatpipe on the MOSFET heatsink?

Comment

Last time I checked asus just uses aluminum pipes that are painted copper, so it may just be a normal pipe, but I'd say you could use your every day pipe cutter, and then probably a pipe crimper to seal it off

why celebrate christmas with white people when you can have a dead terrorist do it for you!
            sig art by verndewd!

Comment

Originally posted by aliG da taco View Post
              Last time I checked asus just uses aluminum pipes that are painted copper, so it may just be a normal pipe, but I'd say you could use your every day pipe cutter, and then probably a pipe crimper to seal it off
              I don't know about other boards, but my P5W-DH Deluxe uses solid copper pipes (heavy little buggers).
              1: Main Rig - eVGA Classified SR-2 | 2 x Xeon X5670 @ 4.05GHz | 12GB Mushkin PC3-1600 DDR3 | OCZ IBIS 240GB RAID SSD | ATI Radeon 5770 1GB | Dual Dell 3007WFP-HC Monitors
              2: Server - eVGA X58 SLI | L5640 @ 4GHz | 6GB OCZ PC3-1866 DDR3 | Intl X25-M G2 80GB OS Drive | 6 x 1.5TB Seagate 7200.11 RAID 10

Comment

Originally posted by brentpresley View Post
                I don't know about other boards, but my P5W-DH Deluxe uses solid copper pipes (heavy little buggers).
                Perhaps, I'll try to dig up where I read that, I believe it was in the computex summery, but I just checked there and that's not where it was.

why celebrate christmas with white people when you can have a dead terrorist do it for you!
                sig art by verndewd!

Comment

The pipes are hollow and appeared to be 100% copper (not plated) and not liquid filled like the earlier boards.
                  The P5B pipes were a little more flimsy and cut easily with a pair of wire cutters.
                  I cleaned the pipes with brake cleaner and compressed air to be certain all contaminants if any were removed from the pipes before installing the mosfet sink on the motherboard.
                  The only thing I didnít mention is the Southbridge Zalman cooler interferes with the X1900XTX Vreg heat sink and had to be modified by bending a small group of fins toward the front of the case for clearance.

Comment

So they're just ordinary pipes, not heatpipes as asus claims. I've always wondered why my southbridge runs so hot and now I know why. I'm debating whether or not to just cut the pipe off the sb cooler and just get a thermalright one instead

sig art by verndewd!

Comment

they are heat pipes
                      try removing the assembly and re apply thermal grease first.
                      the mosfet thermal pad can be reused

Comment

I don't plan to remove the entire thing, just sb block, the nb and mofset coolers will stay for now since the sb on the 590sli chipset runs hotter than the nb and is heating up my room (I burned my hand when I touched the block)

Here's a picture of my mobo, as you can see, asus didn't give the nb and sb good blocks, but they gave the mofsets plenty of cooling. So I may end up replacing both the nb and sb blocks and just keep the mofset coolers

sig art by verndewd!

Comment

Nice... I've never liked these huge integrated heatpipes

Well done... as always your WC setups are extremely neat.
                          CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT [TEXAS]

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
                          Server: |MSI GD65 Z77|Noctua NH-U12P|FSP PT-450M|8x 3TB in RAID 5|16GB Crucial Ballistix|i7 3770K|
                          Main Rig: |MSI Z68A-GD65 G3|1337 Water|GTX 680|PC P&C 750W|WD Caviar Black 1TB|16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz|i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz|

[09:54 AM]Viperabyss:Heck, Wu makes Pedobear looks like regular teddybear

Comment

Looks like you'll have to destroy the pipes to replace one or both chipset coolers as they all share the same run.
                            Asus coolers work great at stock speeds but if you OC heavy the chipsets get too hot.
                            That’s why I decided to water cool the Northbridge.

Comment

I'm still not sure if modern chipset produces enough heat density to make it worthwhile for watercooling. Maybe I'll get my own answer if my oversized HSF solution isn't keeping close to ambient when I get my stuff.
                              I still refuse to believe chipset produce that much heat so make it worth the hassle to add another restriction to the loop.

Anyhoo, looks like a great solution you've got there. Well done.
                              -Back to being a hippie

Comment

Working...
                              X