Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

P5K Deluxe Heat Pipe Removal

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wuzy View Post
    I'm still not sure if modern chipset produces enough heat density to make it worthwhile for watercooling. Maybe I'll get my own answer if my oversized HSF solution isn't keeping close to ambient when I get my stuff.
    I still refuse to believe chipset produce that much heat so make it worth the hassle to add another restriction to the loop.

Anyhoo, looks like a great solution you've got there. Well done.
    Thanks
    The Northbridge defiantly gets toasty on the Asus boards over 400 FSB.
    Just at 400X9 the system stability increased very noticeably water cooled in comparison to an aftermarket air cooled chipset cooler.
    I agree with the addition to the loop as the MCP655 dumps enough heat back into the system by itself.
    The restriction isnít noticeable until multiple GPUs are water cooled.
    When that happens Iíll stick the black Ice Radiator back on and contemplate the purchase of the Iwaki RD 20.
    That should solve the restriction problem

Comment

Originally posted by kwalker View Post
      Thanks
      The Northbridge defiantly gets toasty on the Asus boards over 400 FSB.
      Just at 400X9 the system stability increased very noticeably water cooled in comparison to an aftermarket air cooled chipset cooler.
      I agree with the addition to the loop as the MCP655 dumps enough heat back into the system by itself.
      The restriction isnít noticeable until multiple GPUs are water cooled.
      When that happens Iíll stick the black Ice Radiator back on and contemplate the purchase of the Iwaki RD 20.
      That should solve the restriction problem

My asus k8n pipes run hot. I have been thinking about removing it and
      cleaning and reinsstalling with new thermanl paste.
      My cpu runs about 38c and my sys temps are 45c both at idle.

-------------------------------
      The only thing future proof in electronics is the electricity itself.
      --------------------------
      Any person who relies on only one source for
      information is a fool.
      -----------------------
      Politics= the biggest criminal organization in the world.

Comment

In your case removing the heat pipes and re applying the thermal paste and tape wouldnít hurt a bit and will improve stability but system temperature is measured somewhere on the motherboard by a thermal diode and doesnít necessarily reflect the Northbridge temperature.
        Case air flow improvements will reduce system temps.
        When you water cool the motherboard components can heat up more than usual because of the absence of The CPU heat sink fan
        Your cooler blocks a lot of airflow.
        I would try to run a fan over the motherboard to see if the system temps come down
        I have never seen a consistent reading from a motherboard sensor and sometime ignore it

Comment

Yeah when i open the side up and put a house fan on it the temps
          drop to the mid 30,s.
          -------------------------------
          The only thing future proof in electronics is the electricity itself.
          --------------------------
          Any person who relies on only one source for
          information is a fool.
          -----------------------
          Politics= the biggest criminal organization in the world.

Comment

Working...
          X