Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

Insulation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation question

So I want to wire up my radiator fans to a switch so I can only have them run when I need to. At stock I don't need the cooling, but I'd like to OC and add a GPU into the loop in the future and would like an easy way to control the fans.

I have a military-style switch that looks something like this
    It mounts easily in one of the empty watercooling holes on the rear of the case. I just need to wire it into a 3-pin fan cable.

I've done this before with a soldering iron and electrical tape and it worked fine but wasn't too pretty. Do you have any suggestions for wiring and insulation that I might want to try?

Thanks
    sigpic
    [SIZE="3"][B]
    "SANDY ELITE" - Intel Sandy Bridge 2500K w/ XSPC raystorm waterblock - ASUS P8P67 Pro B3- 8GB G.SKILL Sniper - Sapphire HD7970 w/ Heatkiller Core LC waterblock - Fractal Define R3 Black - Seasonic X460FL Passive - 2 Samsung SSD830 128gb RAID 0 - XSPC RX360 - XSPC Bayres w/ D5 pump - Rosewill Hyperborea fans - Dell U2713HM - Klipsch Promedia 2.1

It looks like the terminals are blade type terminals. I would crimp lugs to the wire that will slip on the end of the blades. The electrical connection is more than good enough for fans and you can remove them easily if you need to. Also it looks better and cleaner than solder.
    something like this. 20 Pcs 6.3mm Crimp Terminal Female Spade Connector Wire
    You should be able to find the right size at any radio shack.
    You'll die a little bit on the inside this week, and a whole heck of a lot on the outside. - Virgo

Comment

Sorry, this is a picture of the terminals:

Are these blade type terminals?
      sigpic
      [SIZE="3"][B]
      "SANDY ELITE" - Intel Sandy Bridge 2500K w/ XSPC raystorm waterblock - ASUS P8P67 Pro B3- 8GB G.SKILL Sniper - Sapphire HD7970 w/ Heatkiller Core LC waterblock - Fractal Define R3 Black - Seasonic X460FL Passive - 2 Samsung SSD830 128gb RAID 0 - XSPC RX360 - XSPC Bayres w/ D5 pump - Rosewill Hyperborea fans - Dell U2713HM - Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by billdcat4 View Post
        Sorry, this is a picture of the terminals:

Are these blade type terminals?
        Yes.
        You'll die a little bit on the inside this week, and a whole heck of a lot on the outside. - Virgo

Comment

Originally posted by Gneisenau View Post
          Yes.
          Ok, thanks a lot. I knew there must have been a better solution than soldering.
          sigpic
          [SIZE="3"][B]

Comment

You can get the connectors in various types. You can even get them where you solder the wire to the connector. I would get the insulated type connector. Get the right crimp tool for the the one you get. (Unless you go with the soldered ones.) Usually they will work with both insulated and non-insulated connectors but make sure yours works for what you are using. The non-insulated crimps put a dimple in the crimp. The insulated crimps just flatten then whole thing somewhat. The dimple on an insulated lug will usually destroy the insulation.

Comment

those are more commonly called spade connectors, you can get those type connectors at just about any automotive parts store or electronics store like Fry's or Radio Shack but you should take the switch in with you to ensure you get the right size connectors since they come in various sizes.

I suggest getting the non-insulated connectors and put your own heat shrink on after soldering the wires to the connectors.
              You can take a man out of the Marines but you can't take the Marines out of the man!

SEMPER FI!

Comment

Originally posted by Blunc View Post
                those are more commonly called spade connectors, you can get those type connectors at just about any automotive parts store or electronics store like Fry's or Radio Shack but you should take the switch in with you to ensure you get the right size connectors since they come in various sizes.

I suggest getting the non-insulated connectors and put your own heat shrink on after soldering the wires to the connectors.
                Originally posted by Gneisenau View Post
                You can get the connectors in various types. You can even get them where you solder the wire to the connector. I would get the insulated type connector. Get the right crimp tool for the the one you get. (Unless you go with the soldered ones.) Usually they will work with both insulated and non-insulated connectors but make sure yours works for what you are using. The non-insulated crimps put a dimple in the crimp. The insulated crimps just flatten then whole thing somewhat. The dimple on an insulated lug will usually destroy the insulation.
                Thanks guys, I'll take it into the local Radioshack and see what they've got. I don't own any heatshrink and this is just a simple switch so I think I'll just buy the insulated type connector
                sigpic
                [SIZE="3"][B]

Comment

Working...
                X