Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
2 of 2 < >

Join Xtreme CPU's Folding Team

How would you like to participate in finding a cure for such diseases as Alzheimer's, Cancer, Huntington's and Parkinson's?

What if i told you it wouldn't cost you a penny?

Now what if i told you it doesn't require you to have any medical knowledge and it can be done while your performing your daily computer work/gaming?

You would be very interested in a program like that wouldn't you?

Well here is your chance. Come join Xtreme CPU's Folding@Home Team.

So what is Folding@Home?
Folding@Home is a distributed computing project. People from around the world download software to there computers that allows all the computers running the software to act as a large super computer. With this supercomputer scientist are able to study how proteins fold and miss fold.

So what is a Protein and what does it have to do with curring disease?
Proteins are like natures work horses. Before a protein can carry out its function they have to assemble themselves or Fold. Its when Proteins do not fold correctly, or misfold, that we get diseases like Alzheimer's, Cancer and the others mentioned above. Folding@Homes objective is to better understand how proteins fold so that they can figure out why these diseases happen. From there they are better able to find a cure.

How do i get involved?
Go to Stanford's Folding@Home page and download the client that best suites your computer. For more information about the different folding clients and which one you should use check the links below.

XCPUs.com Team Needs You
F@H Configuration Guide

Does this effect my computer's performance and does it bog down my Internet connection?
No, the clients are designed to use only the processing power your system isn't using. If your system requires more processing power then the F@H clients back off. F@H only connects to the Internet when it needs to download a new work package (WU) or when it needs to send a completed WU in.

You said something about a team?
Yes. As you complete WU you are awarded points based on the client your running, the WU's size and the amount of time you completed the WU in. You can start your own team or join an existing team helping the team work through the ranks of the more then 74000 teams. You can also work anonymously and not get involved in any teams. When you download and install your client you will be prompted to choose a user name and a team number. Xtreme CPU's team number is 75255. Once you are part of a team you can track your teams stats at EOC's Folding Stats Page. Here is XCPU's Folding stats. You will see there is a wleth of information there. Only the teams that are in the top 800 ranks get to see there folding stats.

How about those cool F@H images in your Sig?
Once you have submitted your first WU you will be able to add a Sig image that shows your folding stats. Check out our Sig Image Guide. There you will learn how to set up a sig image.

For more information check out the Folding@Home Home page and the Xtreme CPU F@H Section. If you have any questions about F@H feel free to post it in our F@H section.
See more
See less

Repurposing an external hard drive enclosure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repurposing an external hard drive enclosure

PHASE: 1

Phases:
    1. R&D - Researching all components for best fit/utility, type of OS/Raid option
    2. Case Modification (if needed)
    3. Assembly and testing
    4. OS Install/Config
    5. Production

This is a continuation of this old thread but seeing as how those pictures got lost in the forum glitch/migration/upgrade a while back and it's been, oh 3+ years, I figured I'd restart.

i'm planning on repurposing my external cooldrives chassis. It looks like this, except it's crap-beige instead of black:

My build so far consists of:

Total damage to date:
    ---
    $370 for a 6 drive NAS/Compact server once all said and done. Not too shabby. (depending on whether I need to buy a different power supply)

My main issue at the moment is trying to squeeze in a traditional PSU or using a PICOPSU such as picoPSU-150-XT 12V DC-DC ATX power supply. The biggest drawback of the picopsu is it only has one 5v rail @ 6a max for the hard drives. If I'm going to eventually squeeze in 6 drives, I'm pretty sure i'll max that out when they all try to spin up unless I can implement a staggered spin-up with the bios and/or OS. As this will be in my basement doing it's serving stuff, I can entertain messy alternatives such as having the regular atx power supply external if it doesn't fit and just run the wires messily through or figure out some type of harness however keeping it all internal would be ideal.

I do have access to a dell y2515 external power supply that has 3 12v rails and supposedly can handle 200w which should be plenty, but then it's a matter of how to convert one of the 12v rails to additional 5v.

I've been writing this introductory post for several days (4 kids in the house = very sporadic time availability) and in that time my iStarUSA 3 in 2 bays arrived!

In any event, I foresee the need for case modification, specifically the backplate. I'm most likely going to have to cut and totally replace the entire back snd design the new ports from scratch. While not critical, I'd like access to the miniITX's PCIE x16 slot in the event I want to add an expansion card of some kind, maybe a video card for folding or similar or to aid in on-the-fly transcoding if it will be the video streaming server as well. Anyway, my daughter's high school has a laser cutter that they allow student's families to use so I may have to try to design something in CAD or similar program for the new layout. Unfortunately the summer is rolling around and I don't know if I'll be able to access it during school break. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

4.44 Mb/s upload acts like 4kb/s

Will update once photo posting is fixed.

Comment

Nice, I can't wait to see how this goes for you, I have a similar project for an HP Mediasmart Server 485 that I may or may not have accidentally borked. I built a KVM cable for it, but I had to manufacture the header using an old laptop ribbon cable and taking it on and off of the MB several dozen times to do some troubleshooting on other issues, the whole system eventually quit working. I figured out what chip was the culprit since it got so hot it burned me, and it is one that is affiliated with the header on the motherboard... but other people had similar problems so I don't know...for sure. Anyway sorry for the hijack...

I couldn't see the MB you were talking about so I googled it and here is the newegg link: SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-H-O Mini ITX Server Motherboard DDR2 667 - Newegg.com

I have a few concerns, based on the 1 image you posted. First, will a Mini-ITX MB even fit in there in the first place, it doesn't look like it meets the 6.7"x6.7" square specification except maybe of the MB was on it's side and that would prevent you from doing just about anything except duck taping SSD's to the inside. On the bright side though, you would be able to have an internal PSU.

The Y2020 is probably what I would use, in combination with one of the pico-PSU's on mini-box some of the DC-DC automotive ones might work well with slight modification. Personally I would forgo the idea of putting any sort of video card in this. If you are going to make use of that x16 slot and you have a space the confined, and also it's a NAS you're better off putting an SSD in there for caching or multi-port Gigabit Ethernet card. I think the most extravagant thing I would think about putting in there is a TV Card so you could turn it into a DVR/NAS combo.

I hope this turns out great, can't wait to see pictures.

Comment

Yep, that's it. it already has dual nic which is nice. I was thinking a Tuner card as well for that x16 slot so it could be setup as a DVR potentially but isn't a deal breaker.

I uploaded a bunch of photos to my personal site as the upload function is still broken: Index of /Cooldrive

The Motherboard does fit, albiet tightly. I was indeed thinking of side-mounting it for full access.

Here's the pic of it held up manually. It'll actually have a little more clearance from the drives once the backplate is cut properly:

the clearance is tight from the full-sized PSU:

I've seen some small 1U-type power supplies for servers that would fit perfectly on the bottom while still giving plenty of room for the motherboard. I'm considering looking around to find one of those. 200-250 watts should be plenty.

Comment

That case has WAY more room that it looked like it had, that should make for a great build, have you considered totally replacing the back of the chassis with a piece of steel and doing a custom cut-out for the PSU, Card and IO panel?

Comment

Not knowing your size limits, this power supply could possibly work for you. SeaSonic SS-350TGM Bulk 350W TFX12V &#40;v2.31&#41; 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply - OEM - Newegg.com
            HAF 932 Advanced, Corsair TX750, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5 3570k @4.0ghz, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ares, 2x500gb 7200.12 Seagate, 2tb Samsung F4, Sapphire HD 7970 3gb; Rocketfish FT, Corsair HX650, Asrock P67 Extreme4, Core i5 2400 @3.5ghz, 8gb Gskill 1600 Ripjaws, 1TB Seagate ES2, 4x2tb Samsung in Raid5, Sapphire HD 5850 1gb; Diablotek Evo case, OCZ ModXtreme Pro 500w, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, FX 8320, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ripjaws, 750gb Samsung F1, Sapphire HD 5850; ASUS X53SV-RH51 Laptop, i5-2430M, 8GB Gskill 1333, 640GB, GT 540M* tool_462: Yeah, Farhang does all his threatening from a Graco stool, wearing a pink princess outfit, in between trips to his Easy Bake Oven. * Sailer: Personally, when I own a car, I like to drive it, not just see it during visiting hours at the dealership*Farhang: Easybake Oven > Playing Crysis @1920x1200 Max Details +60 FPS* SEAL: I was hot black leather speedo gay for 8 hours yesterday... and no one caught that?*BaldEagle: How fast can Congress spend money? It's like sending a bunch of drunk sailors into a brothel.*TurboFly03: I remember this mountain... I took a hooker roughly on.... wait... nope that was a fantasy* Ches111: Why the heck am I carrying around this hypnotized monkey? * DaSickNinja: I'd have better luck than SF if I had remembered to pull out

Comment

Originally posted by Suavey View Post
              That case has WAY more room that it looked like it had, that should make for a great build, have you considered totally replacing the back of the chassis with a piece of steel and doing a custom cut-out for the PSU, Card and IO panel?
              Actually yes that was my inclination as well. The local high school has a laser cutter that is free to use for students and their families. I'll just need to make a CAD drawing of which i have next to no experience/skill and will probably screw up several pieces before making a good one That and the school is pretty much shut down for the summer. I may just rough-fit it all with the motherboard external temporarily until i get access to the cutter as my old server is on it's last legs.

Logain, depending on how precise I can be with the measurements, CAD drawing, and laser cutter, a standard PSU would fit but it'd be TIGHT. The PSU you linked would give me a little more wiggle room for sure and I'll keep it in mind. I also saw some 1u server power supplies in the one lab at work and that form factor would obviously be great for size, but that tiny high rpm fan would be annoying.

Comment

Well I don't know what you have access to as far as CAD programs go. If you have access to Solidworks or Inventor or AutoCAD you will be in great shape. There are A LOT of tutorials for them and they are very good. I downloaded freeCAD to try that out and see how difficult that would be for a new user. I would have attached the file but I couldn't, anyway I mocked up a rear panel for this case based on eyeballing dimensions of just the exposed rear surface not any of the bends that might be necessary to actually attach it. The simplest sketch -> 3D model took me almost 40 minutes and I have a decent amount of CAD experience ( almost exclusively with solidworks) so I wouldn't consider most of the UI intuitive, some of it is though, and more helpful than solidworks. If you're new to CAD you may have better luck learning the interface, but in the end there is no comparison between this and professional level CAD programs like solidworks. this definitely lacks the functionality and well honed interface I've come to expect from Solidworks. Also right click on this is not as useful.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

I do have access to Autodesk's Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014which has all of those tools. Not that I know how to use any of them.

I was thinking of cutting the rear panel just past the rivets. This way it would have a ring of metal remaining from the original where the new piece would be attached and joined when re-riveted. Kind of like this:

Comment

A slight update. Turns out my daughter had a class in high school using Autodesk. I just found a volunteer to make the drawing

Comment

I have heard of people using small USB drives to run their hardware from but I've also heard that is most of those scenarios that the USB drives failed within three months. Usually, my first question was whether they kept the temp/paging file resident on the USB drive, some users said yes...others didn't know what I was talking about. I am curious as to how you plan to configure the OS on your 2gb USB drive.
                      You can take a man out of the Marines but you can't take the Marines out of the man!

SEMPER FI!

Comment

Originally posted by suprnova74 View Post
                        A slight update. Turns out my daughter had a class in high school using Autodesk. I just found a volunteer to make the drawing
                        Hooray for child labor ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Blunc View Post
                          I have heard of people using small USB drives to run their hardware from but I've also heard that is most of those scenarios that the USB drives failed within three months. Usually, my first question was whether they kept the temp/paging file resident on the USB drive, some users said yes...others didn't know what I was talking about. I am curious as to how you plan to configure the OS on your 2gb USB drive.
                          I'd think the best way around this would be to make sure that you've got a good chunk of RAM... then turn the paging file off. Solves many of the issues with using flash as a boot image.

NOSTROMO: Intel Core i5 3750K | MSI R9 290 | Fractal Design Define Mini | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M | Antec Kuhler H2O 620 | 120gb OCZ Vertex III MaxIOPS | PCP&C Silencer 750w

F@H Box / Server: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.4ghz | CSX Wraith #51 of 300 | Custom Water Cooling | 2x 3TB WD Caviar Green HDDs | 4x 3TB Seagate 7200RPM HDDs

Interested in Folding@Home? Visit the XCPUs Folding@home page!

Comment

Originally posted by Blunc View Post
                            Originally posted by SirRobin4ever View Post
                            I'd think the best way around this would be to make sure that you've got a good chunk of RAM... then turn the paging file off. Solves many of the issues with using flash as a boot image.
                            I was contemplating unraid or one of the other appliance-style products out there with a small footprint and running primarily in memory, but I could also put on Windows Server. I'm still pondering on the best solution for my needs. i have an old 60gb video ipod where all of the audio connectors failed. I could repurpose the 1.8" hard drive from that, more for S&G's than any real need. I'll just need to pick up a ZIF to USB or SATA interface for it. I bought the max ram the board can handle -- 4GB of ram (2x2gb) -- for the machine, so while it's not "a good bit", it's double what my current server has.

My current server is acting as:
                            1. File server of course (no raid)
                            - The drives for storage are 3 misc vendor drives 2 - 2tb and 1 1tb so the traditional RAID may not be an option. I may have to go with unraid or similar that can handle varying drive types.

2. DHCP and DNS backup for my internal network (not critical, can move it to another box if need be)
                            3. twonky media server (open to other options)
                            4. It's currently utilizing dfs replication for some of the shares with another windows 2008 server for some redundancy in the event a server goes down but that's not critical either

I'm considering building another box to serve as a hyper-v or other virtual machine host and can leverage that in lieu of this special purpose box for options 2 to 4 if need be depending on what RAID server option I pick.

I bought the motherboard over 3 years ago. I'm not opposed to buying a more up-to-date one. It would then give me a reason to build an htpc box with the other board
                            Last edited by suprnova74; 06-28-2014, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X