Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

Pencil mod for the P5B series

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pencil mod for the P5B series

The Vdroop on the P5B series motherboards are on average .05 volts and some users experience as much as .065 volts.
    Although Vdroop is a normal and controlled phenomenon in voltage regulatory circuitry it can become a nuisance when stabilizing your over clock even at increments as low as .05 volts.
    There are mods requiring the soldering of a 50K ohm variable resistor in parallel with the voltage sense circuitry which in essence fools the regulator into increasing the Vcore because of reported less than optimum supply voltage under load.
    The problem with any voltage mod is that the calibration of this circuitry is your safety net with increased and normal Vcore initial settings in bios options.
    The fluctuation of current demand from processor idle to full load according to the requirements of the system are also some what smoothed out so to speak
    This circuitry also helps to prevent current spikes when a CPU comes out of a lesser state of operation to an optimum controlled full state.
    Danger
    Too much pencil leaves the CPU Vcore at high current levels during idle times.

With this said the following modification should only be done to stabilize clocks requiring voltages above the absolute maximum voltage stated by the manufacturer which is 1.55 volts for almost all Intel CPU’s in use today.
    By performing this mod you may be able to reduce your Vcore setting in bios below 1.55 volts.
    Do this at your own risk
    You’re object is not to eliminate Vdroop but to lesson the amount to an acceptable level.
    Two or three strokes of a sharpened #2 pencil are all it takes.
    My advice is if you have no Vdroop……. do the mod over.

Nice work, but isn't that how you fried your c1 p5b?

why celebrate christmas with white people when you can have a dead terrorist do it for you!
    sig art by verndewd!

Comment

No
      I used soldered mods on that board and got carried away
      Iíve been good lately and havenít fried anything in almost a month.
      The pencil mod works and I'm passing this on because itís the safest mod I've tried
      And it works.

Comment

Ahh

in that case, could you help me with a pencil mod for my crosshair. Wusy said to just get a voltage reader and try the pegs until I find the right one, but what would I do from there?

why celebrate christmas with white people when you can have a dead terrorist do it for you!
        sig art by verndewd!

Comment

The design between the boards may be different but if you take a closer look at the Two IC controllers on the screenshot they should resemble yours both being 8 phase power.
          The controllers are designed to work with Intel and AMD circuits.
          First check for your Vcore at one of the mosfet legs somewhere in the vicinity (should be next to a coil) sometimes near the top of a ram slot
          Determine your actual droop.
          If you have access to a high resolution digital camera take a pic and post it.
          It’s next to impossible to determine much without the board in front of me but I’ll give it a shot

Comment

cool, as soon as I get a hold of a multimeter and find out what's wrong with digital camera, I'll send you the info

sig art by verndewd!

Comment

Working...
            X