Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

Dead Home Theater Receiver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Home Theater Receiver

I think the recent hurricane nuked my receiver. Sure it made it past Ike last year but Alex nukes it this year? What gives?

Anyways, when I watch TV/DVD/BluRay etc I randomly get this extremely loud hissing or popping or screetch. The sounds that it plays depends on the mood of the receiver and how badly it wants to freak my dogs out.

I reset the surge protector and powered off the receiver and held the power button in (kind of like how you clear the remaining charge before opening a computer) and then tried it again. No luck.

Also, no there are no shorts in the wires that I could find.

It is outside of warranty by 4 months (Grrr).

Any thoughts? If a recording would help I'm sure my Incredible can come to the rescue

Denon AVR 1908ci
    PS3
    Samsung LN46A550
    Polk Audio speakers
    CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT [TEXAS]

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
    Server: |MSI GD65 Z77|Noctua NH-U12P|FSP PT-450M|8x 3TB in RAID 5|16GB Crucial Ballistix|i7 3770K|
    Main Rig: |MSI Z68A-GD65 G3|1337 Water|GTX 680|PC P&C 750W|WD Caviar Black 1TB|16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz|i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz|

[09:54 AM]Viperabyss:Heck, Wu makes Pedobear looks like regular teddybear

Call Denon/Crutchfield
    sigpic
    [SIZE="3"][B]
    "SANDY ELITE" - Intel Sandy Bridge 2500K w/ XSPC raystorm waterblock - ASUS P8P67 Pro B3- 8GB G.SKILL Sniper - Sapphire HD7970 w/ Heatkiller Core LC waterblock - Fractal Define R3 Black - Seasonic X460FL Passive - 2 Samsung SSD830 128gb RAID 0 - XSPC RX360 - XSPC Bayres w/ D5 pump - Rosewill Hyperborea fans - Dell U2713HM - Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by billdcat4 View Post
      Call Denon/Crutchfield
      1) Out of warranty repairs are generally not a wise investment

2) Why call a place I didn't buy it at?

Server: |MSI GD65 Z77|Noctua NH-U12P|FSP PT-450M|8x 3TB in RAID 5|16GB Crucial Ballistix|i7 3770K|
      Main Rig: |MSI Z68A-GD65 G3|1337 Water|GTX 680|PC P&C 750W|WD Caviar Black 1TB|16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz|i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz|

Comment

Screeching and noises like that usually point to a bad component inside the unit- It could be just about anything. If you have the courage to open the unit, you can check the components one by one. Some are easier to test than others however. For someone without electronics experience, the easiest ones to check would be the capacitors and resistors. Resistors that are bad will look a darker, burnt color than its neighbors, whereas bad capacitors may be bulged or leaking. Going further into diagnosing things would require an oscilloscope and a multimeter at least.

NOSTROMO: Intel Core i5 3750K | MSI R9 290 | Fractal Design Define Mini | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M | Antec Kuhler H2O 620 | 120gb OCZ Vertex III MaxIOPS | PCP&C Silencer 750w

F@H Box / Server: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.4ghz | CSX Wraith #51 of 300 | Custom Water Cooling | 2x 3TB WD Caviar Green HDDs | 4x 3TB Seagate 7200RPM HDDs

Interested in Folding@Home? Visit the XCPUs Folding@home page!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFly03 View Post

I suspect he meant to call them for a new replacement......

Sounds to me like one or more of the caps let loose. Those you can probably replace if you can figure out which ones went junk.
          You'll die a little bit on the inside this week, and a whole heck of a lot on the outside. - Virgo

Comment

Originally posted by SirRobin4ever View Post
            Screeching and noises like that usually point to a bad component inside the unit- It could be just about anything. If you have the courage to open the unit, you can check the components one by one. Some are easier to test than others however. For someone without electronics experience, the easiest ones to check would be the capacitors and resistors. Resistors that are bad will look a darker, burnt color than its neighbors, whereas bad capacitors may be bulged or leaking. Going further into diagnosing things would require an oscilloscope and a multimeter at least.
            Yeah... I'm not nearly as skilled as you.

My version of curing a dead cap is buying a new receiver

Oh sure I can find it probably but I can't fix it to save my life.

Comment

I didnt mean call for a replacement.

If you call them, they might help you diagnose the issue/component at fault even if they arent able to repair it for you.

Cant hurt
              sigpic
              [SIZE="3"][B]
              "SANDY ELITE" - Intel Sandy Bridge 2500K w/ XSPC raystorm waterblock - ASUS P8P67 Pro B3- 8GB G.SKILL Sniper - Sapphire HD7970 w/ Heatkiller Core LC waterblock - Fractal Define R3 Black - Seasonic X460FL Passive - 2 Samsung SSD830 128gb RAID 0 - XSPC RX360 - XSPC Bayres w/ D5 pump - Rosewill Hyperborea fans - Dell U2713HM - Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Comment

I had Pioneer receiver that did that. It made crackling and popping sounds that sounded like static interference. But after troubleshooting, I concluded it wasn't. I opened it up to see if there were any obviously fried parts or major dust build up. I didn't find any. My solution was to buy a new receiver. That fixed it.
                i5 2500K 4.6Ghz 1.30v|TRUE120|Asus P8P67 Pro|Sapphire HD 7950 3GB @1150Mhz|Ripjaws X DDR3 1866 9-10-9-28 1T 1.5V 2x4gb|2x Samsung F3 1TB|WD 640GB|P182|Corsair TX750|Win 7 Pro x64

Comment

Originally posted by orangegator View Post
                  I had Pioneer receiver that did that. It made crackling and popping sounds that sounded like static interference. But after troubleshooting, I concluded it wasn't. I opened it up to see if there were any obviously fried parts or major dust build up. I didn't find any. My solution was to buy a new receiver. That fixed it.
                  I just opened it up as well... I can't see anything. My guess is a very small resistor blew or something in the rain.

Looks like it is time to invest in one of those over priced usually unnecessary power filter/cleaner things to keep my components safe. I shouldn't be buying a new $400 receiver every 2 years.

Comment

I just opened it up as well... I can't see anything. My guess is a very small resistor blew or something in the rain.

Looks like it is time to invest in one of those over priced usually unnecessary power filter/cleaner things to keep my components safe. I shouldn't be buying a new $400 receiver every 2 years.
                    It's likely to be a transistor or op-amp or something like that. Most transistors and op-amps can only handle a moderate voltage before permanent damage occurs. A power spike would do that, and leave no damage on the outside of the chip's package.

NOSTROMO: Intel Core i5 3750K | MSI R9 290 | Fractal Design Define Mini | ASRock Z77 Pro4-M | Antec Kuhler H2O 620 | 120gb OCZ Vertex III MaxIOPS | PCP&C Silencer 750w

F@H Box / Server: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.4ghz | CSX Wraith #51 of 300 | Custom Water Cooling | 2x 3TB WD Caviar Green HDDs | 4x 3TB Seagate 7200RPM HDDs

Interested in Folding@Home? Visit the XCPUs Folding@home page!

Comment

Originally posted by SirRobin4ever View Post
                      It's likely to be a transistor or op-amp or something like that. Most transistors and op-amps can only handle a moderate voltage before permanent damage occurs. A power spike would do that, and leave no damage on the outside of the chip's package.
                      Why do you always have to be a buzz kill Keith?

I guess I have to dish out another $400 for a amp which is what I was afraid of.

Comment

If your just 4 months outside of the replacement. Call them up, there is a good chance that they will replace it for you.

Samsung warrenteed my DLP TV 1 year out of warranty.

Its not hard to get them to do something.

Comment

Originally posted by arisythila View Post
                          If your just 4 months outside of the replacement. Call them up, there is a good chance that they will replace it for you.

Samsung warrenteed my DLP TV 1 year out of warranty.

Its not hard to get them to do something.
                          +1 Dell did it with a laptop 3 months out of warranty
                          I7 2600k | Megahalem | MSI P67A-GD65 | 16GB G Skill | XFX 6870 | Antec P280 | RevoDrive 3 x2 |3x2tb
                          Laptop: DELL Studio 1558 | i7 720QM | 500GB Hdd | 4GB DDR3 1066 | 1080p HD 15" screen.

Comment

Interesting...

Comment

It's at least worth a shot. With the way the economy is going, nobody wants bad press. Most companies are going that extra mile where customer service is concerned to help prevent losing a customer.
                              You'll die a little bit on the inside this week, and a whole heck of a lot on the outside. - Virgo

Comment

Working...
                              X