Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

DVD to MKV with 5.1 Sound Guide

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD to MKV with 5.1 Sound Guide

Tools Needed:
    • MeGUI 0.2.6.1043
    • AVISynth 2.5

Ok after hours and hours of fiddling around I figured out how to get DVD’s into MKV files with 5.1 surround sound. It sounds easy enough but all the big dog tools like Nero Recode downmixed the sound to 2.0 and I wasn’t about to stand for that. I tried several tools like AutoMKV and MKVMagic but to no avail. I’m not entirely sure what was going on but I know one thing: they weren’t working.

Then I found MeGUI and a guide to making x264 files for the PS 3. From there I read it and extracted the relevant information and ignored everything about compatibility with PS 3.

Note: I've had the best success using XP. Vista has tossed a few curveballs that I haven't ironed out yet.

Disclaimer: I’m not a video expert by any stretch. I don’t know jack crap about the advanced options so don’t ask for my opinion because I’ve got nothing to offer.

First, acquire the three tools listed and install them (all are freeware). The third tool is needed for step two but due to legal reasons I won’t tell you how to accomplish step two.

Second, rip a DVD to your HDD. I’d love to say more but the best I can do is to say make sure the ripped file isn’t segmented.

Next, open up MeGui. It will probably ask you if you want to update your files, click “Yes” and wait. You will be asked which profiles to import, use shift to select them all (just in case) and click “Ok.” After MeGui updates you will need to restart the program (not your computer) so let it. Then when you reopen it you’ll see two basic sections: audio and video.

First Run:

After updating the files you recieve this box:

Select all the video profiles using shift:

Do the same for audio profiles:

Go to “tools” then D2VS Creator. For the video input use the gigantic VOB you ripped to your HDD. If you ripped the file correctly then the track list should be populated with names like: AC3 6ch or AC3 2ch. If you get an error with “Couldn’t find stream information” then you did not rip it correctly but it doesn’t matter you can continue and deal with it later. If you got the “Couldn’t find stream information” error choose “all tracks” otherwise choose the AC3 6ch track from the drop down box. Check both the boxes that are on the bottom of the window and click “Queue.”

Now go to MeGUI and go to the “Queue” tab. You should see a job with your VOB file as an input and an output file with a .d2v extension with a status of “waiting” or “queued.” Go to the bottom right corner and click “new worker” and give it a name…. a name which doesn’t matter at all. Then click “start” from bottom left corner.

You have now extracted the 5.1 audio track (or all the audio tracks depending if your rip didn’t have the stream information).

Next go to “tools” and “avi script creator.” For video input use the .d2v file you created before. You should see a window popup with a frame of the video file displayed. KEEP IT OPEN. Switch to the AviSynth script creator and check the “crop” option then select the “Auto crop” button. This will remove the black bars from the movie. Also check the Input DAR (aspect ratio) and make sure it is correct. Next check the “suggested resolution” box. This will make sure the encoded resolution is compatible with the 16:9 aspect ratio. Make sure the “On save close and load to be encoded” box is checked. Click “save.” A save as dialog box will appear in the same directory as the d2v file, name the file and click “Save.”

If you look at the preview window when you load up the d2v file in the avs script creator and notice interlacing switch to the "filters" tab and click analyze. This will take awhile but it will determine the settings necessary.

Next a bunch of information gets autoloaded into the Input tab of MeGUI and nearly all of it you can leave.

The next step is a first time deal only. You need to setup an AC3 profile. Go to the audio section and select FFMPEG AC-3 as your codec and click “Config.” Leave the options in the upper half of the box that opens. Change the bit rate to a setting of your choice. DVDs typically use 448kbps or 384kbps (384kbps is the standard minimum). I use 448kbps personally. Now click “New” and give the profile a meaningful name like “AC-3 448kbps.” Now select “Ok.”

Now you need to choose your video codec and output container. I personally use x264 and MKV. X264 is a freeware version of H.264 and does an amazing job. I use the HQ-Insane profile which results in a file size of approx. 1GB for a 2hr movie. I will reiterate, don’t post questions about the advanced options for video codecs because I know jack squat about them.

Easy Way

Once you do that you are brought back to the MeGUI main screen. You will need to change the output name of the audio file. It doesn’t really matter what the name is as long as it is different than the input file name since they are both .ac3 files. Ignore the enqueue buttons for both the audio and video sections and click “Auto Encode” on the bottom right hand part of the screen.

This is where you select your file size requirements. Personally I don’t have any space requirements so I selected the last option, No target size. Next click “Queue.”

Switch to the “Queue” tab and click “Start.”

Hard Way

Use this way if you are having issues encoding the audio with FFMPEG.

In the upper half of the main MeGUI screen make sure all your video settings are good to go then click the "Enqueue" button. Go to the "queued" tab and click "Start." Your video will begin encoding.

After being encoded go to "Tools" then "Muxer" then pick the muxer that matches your output file type. I used MKV Muxer. Specify the mkv file as the video input and find the audio stream you demuxed (separated) out earlier. Click "Queue" and then go to the "Queue" tab and click "Start."

Given the settings I used it takes about 5 hours on a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz.
    CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT [TEXAS]

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
    Server: |MSI GD65 Z77|Noctua NH-U12P|FSP PT-450M|8x 3TB in RAID 5|16GB Crucial Ballistix|i7 3770K|
    Main Rig: |MSI Z68A-GD65 G3|1337 Water|GTX 680|PC P&C 750W|WD Caviar Black 1TB|16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz|i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz|

[09:54 AM]Viperabyss:Heck, Wu makes Pedobear looks like regular teddybear

Eh... All my films are already in .mkv in HD with HD sound in 5.1...

Wonder how that happened?

Maybe I'll try this with my DVD collection...
    It's Goodbye To The Shortcuts,
    Hello To The Grind.
    Nobody Ever Said It
    Would Be An Easy Ride.
    Suffer For Your Art

E8400 @ 4.5GHz / Gigabyte EP45-DS3R / Custom Water / 9800GTX / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Klipsch RB-10s
    E8400 / P35-DS3P / Ultima-90i / HD3870 / Win7 RC

Comment

minus the part where you've only listed 2 tools and talk about 3.. I'll try this later and see how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by iDENTITi View Post

Well then, why don't you add suggestions to the guide then?
        1: Main Rig - eVGA Classified SR-2 | 2 x Xeon X5670 @ 4.05GHz | 12GB Mushkin PC3-1600 DDR3 | OCZ IBIS 240GB RAID SSD | ATI Radeon 5770 1GB | Dual Dell 3007WFP-HC Monitors
        2: Server - eVGA X58 SLI | L5640 @ 4GHz | 6GB OCZ PC3-1866 DDR3 | Intl X25-M G2 80GB OS Drive | 6 x 1.5TB Seagate 7200.11 RAID 10

Comment

Originally posted by Tarkenstar View Post
          minus the part where you've only listed 2 tools and talk about 3.. I'll try this later and see how it goes
          The point is the 3rd tool if named could make XCPUS legally liable so I didn't mention it. However if I said only 2 tools are required then people would be confused as to how to get DVDs to their HDD.

Everyone should know what the 3rd tool is but I can't name it.

So that confusion was deliberate.

Server: |MSI GD65 Z77|Noctua NH-U12P|FSP PT-450M|8x 3TB in RAID 5|16GB Crucial Ballistix|i7 3770K|
          Main Rig: |MSI Z68A-GD65 G3|1337 Water|GTX 680|PC P&C 750W|WD Caviar Black 1TB|16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz|i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz|

Comment

B/c I didn't do it. Someone else did. I have nothing to add.
            Although I have played around with a transcoder to get these .mkv files to play on xbox or a weaker pc that can't handle the playing of it (it downscales in realtime)

If thats any help somewhere.
            Hello To The Grind.
            Nobody Ever Said It
            Would Be An Easy Ride.
            Suffer For Your Art

E8400 @ 4.5GHz / Gigabyte EP45-DS3R / Custom Water / 9800GTX / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Klipsch RB-10s

Comment

I've asked several times for help with this and no one had an answer so I went out and figured it out myself.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperFly03 View Post
                I've asked several times for help with this and no one had an answer so I went out and figured it out myself.
                Read above. I didn't know how to either.

Guess my grip of english failed me again. I was meaning that.. eh yeah I'll shh or ill get this site into ****.
                Hello To The Grind.
                Nobody Ever Said It
                Would Be An Easy Ride.
                Suffer For Your Art

Comment

Read above. I didn't know how to either.

Guess my grip of english failed me again. I was meaning that.. eh yeah I'll shh or ill get this site into ****.
                  My bad. I didn't get that.

No biggie.

Comment

Seems good though.

Only problem I have is it taking like 7hrs per DVD..

Guess you bastages with a quadcore are fine with it though

EDIT : Something for you to play around with : TVersity Home
                    Hello To The Grind.
                    Nobody Ever Said It
                    Would Be An Easy Ride.
                    Suffer For Your Art

Comment

I need to rewrite the ending... I'm having issues with the AC3 encoder.

Well, I'll probably just add an alternative ending in case there are issues going the easy way (described in the guide).

Comment

SF:
                        Have you tried AutoMKV? It's on the doom forum as well. Beats MeGUI IMO, you might find it more stable and faster.
                        "If what you see out of the windscreen is beyond your capacity for excitement, go around."

Comment

Originally posted by rover2eh View Post
                          SF:
                          Have you tried AutoMKV? It's on the doom forum as well. Beats MeGUI IMO, you might find it more stable and faster.
                          Yes, I did try it. Wouldn't work worth a damn.

Comment

Install information added.

Comment

Can this technique be used on Blu-Rays?
                              Deskop: Core i7 920|P6T Deluxe V2|R9 290|X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional|12 GB DDR3 1600|X-25M 80 GB|2 x 160 GB RAID 0|2 x 1.5 TB RAID 1|RocketRaid 640 with 2 x 3 TB RAID 1|Corsair HX850 WATT PSU|Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit|Silverstone TJ-09BW w/ USB 3.0 mod|Dell U2410 24" 1920x1200|Creative G500 5.1 Speakers|Logitech G15v2|Logitech G5
                              HTPC/Gaming: FX8320|Crosshair V Formula-Z
                              |R9 270X 4GB|8 GB DDR3 1600|2 x 250 GB RAID 0|SeaSonic SSR-650RM PSU|Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit|SilverStone LC10B-E USB 3.0
                              HP ENVY 17-1011NR: Core i7 720QM|HM55 Chipset|USB 3.0|Mobility Radeon HD 5850|8 GB DDR3 1333|2 x 320 GB|Blu-Ray|Back-lit keyboard with num pad|Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit|17.3" HP Ultra BrightView Infinity LED 1920x1080
                              Old School: Athlon 64 3200+|K8N-E Deluxe|GeForce 6800|2 GB DDR 400|200 GB|PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 WATT PSU|Windows XP Professional 32-bit|Thermaltake Shark

Apple iPhone 6 64 GB iOS 8.3
                              Lenovo Ideapad K1 Android 4.1.1 with root

Game consoles: PlayStation
                              |XBOX|PlayStation 2|GameCube|XBOX 360|PlayStation 3|Wii|GameBoy Advance SP|3DS|PlayStation Portable|PlayStation Vita|XBOX One|PlayStation 4

Comment

Working...
                              X