Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

Stable socket 2011-v3 motherboard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stable socket 2011-v3 motherboard?

My old i7-920 rig died so figured I'd buy an updated system. I went with the following:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Nice build with oooone tiny issue. The MSI x99s SLI Plus has been a twitchy, glitchy, buggy mess. The first board wouldn't even load the OS so exchanged it. The second one was almost as bad so I returned it with 1 day to spare on the 30 day money back. Some of the fun issues include:
    1) random freezes. Bad when you're intending to run a 24/7 uptime type of home environment.
    2) refused to complete OS install of Windows 8.1 (would lock up) if the drive had *any* files on it. Had to format the drive which was annoying as I had to back up the 1TB of data I had on it first.
    3) would lock up on installing all of MSI drivers (even newest versions from their web)
    4) weird boot-time behavior (the windows 8 spinny wheel thing would display with the MSI bios splash screen in the background instead of the Win 8 Logo.
    5) OS Shutdown is impossible if you wanted to turn it off. it would restart always
    6) less important but no Windows 2012 r2 driver support. I could go either win8.1 or 2012 r2 so wasn't a huge deal

This all leads me to the question, any recommendations on a stable alternative board? I'd like to stay away from MSI obviously. I wouldn't mind a supermicro board, but I didn't see any that could take a non-Xeon processor.

4.44 Mb/s upload acts like 4kb/s

I'm not on X99, but I've had awesome luck with the ASUS boards. Had the P6T Deluxe v2 on the X58 platform now the ROG Maximus Hero VI on the Z87 platform. Never an issue at all.

Case: Obsidian 700D | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz w/ H100i | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | RAM: 16GB GSkiill DDR3 | HDD: Samsung 840 500GB SSD, 10TB Storage | GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 780 (1230/6300) PSU: EVGA 850W | Sound Card: Sound Blaster Z Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 | Display: Dell U2711, 2470WFP | Keyboard: Curvy MS Keyboard | Mouse: Razer Mamba 2012

Phone: SGS4 HT: LG 60" Plasma, 5.1 surround sound| Games Consoles: PS3, 360, PS2

Comment

yeah, i was checking out Asus' offerings. There's a few that caught my eye but they have a ton of features that I don't really need which drives the price up dramatically, unfortunately. Ah well, I'm going to have to pay for good quality though in either case

Comment

I've usually used either ASUS or Gigabyte boards in the past. The last two ASUS ROG boards I got both failed, the original purchase and the RMA board. The RMA board lasted just long enough to get out of warranty. Very disappointed with that. I'll probably go for a Gigabyte Z99 board when I build in the next month or so. I have noticed that all the X99 boards seem to have been having issues. mainly connected with the BIOS. I remember this same type of thing happened with the i7 boards and the triple ram slot feature. Eventually the companies figured it out and all the boards were good after that. I suspect the same type of thing is happening with the X99 boards, The DDR4 is something new and the companies are having a bit of trouble figuring it out. It can be easy enough for them to make a board work at their factory, with lots of engineers in lab coats to understand and fix any problem that comes up, but when the board gets into the real world and is put together with components they most likely hadn't tested, the problems arise. Then a bunch of BIOS fixes come out. That type of thing is why I haven't built yet.
        Over 60- Seen it, Done it, Can't remember it, but I miss it.
        The great economist Milton Friedman once observed, "Many people want government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.
        Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else.
        Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito - Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it:

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/sailer...ang?fu=2315423

Comment

My AsRock X99 Extreme6 works well
          sigpic
          [SIZE="3"][B]
          "SANDY ELITE" - Intel Sandy Bridge 2500K w/ XSPC raystorm waterblock - ASUS P8P67 Pro B3- 8GB G.SKILL Sniper - Sapphire HD7970 w/ Heatkiller Core LC waterblock - Fractal Define R3 Black - Seasonic X460FL Passive - 2 Samsung SSD830 128gb RAID 0 - XSPC RX360 - XSPC Bayres w/ D5 pump - Rosewill Hyperborea fans - Dell U2713HM - Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Comment

I was looking into the Asus X99-WS/IPMI but have had a horrible time getting it sourced.
            Rakuten.com, B&H Photo, Newegg all shipped "bulk" packaging (i.e. motherboard in a cardboard box) when their website listed retail. Additionally, it was missing components. You know, minor things, like the I/O backplate

I spoke to one of the B&H Photo purchasing agents and they said they bought a lot of 100 and due to the returns, sent the whole lot back to Asus.

I noticed that all of the vendors now have it listed but are all Out of Stock. I wonder what happened at Asus to mess up such a simple thing as sending all pieces or, heck, an actual retail box...

Comment

You sure it is the motherboard, and not that subpar PSU, that is your problem? That is a G1 unit, and they are not very good. A G2 unit would be leaps and bounds better.
              HAF 932 Advanced, Corsair TX750, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5 3570k @4.0ghz, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ares, 2x500gb 7200.12 Seagate, 2tb Samsung F4, Sapphire HD 7970 3gb; Rocketfish FT, Corsair HX650, Asrock P67 Extreme4, Core i5 2400 @3.5ghz, 8gb Gskill 1600 Ripjaws, 1TB Seagate ES2, 4x2tb Samsung in Raid5, Sapphire HD 5850 1gb; Diablotek Evo case, OCZ ModXtreme Pro 500w, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, FX 8320, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ripjaws, 750gb Samsung F1, Sapphire HD 5850; ASUS X53SV-RH51 Laptop, i5-2430M, 8GB Gskill 1333, 640GB, GT 540M* tool_462: Yeah, Farhang does all his threatening from a Graco stool, wearing a pink princess outfit, in between trips to his Easy Bake Oven. * Sailer: Personally, when I own a car, I like to drive it, not just see it during visiting hours at the dealership*Farhang: Easybake Oven > Playing Crysis @1920x1200 Max Details +60 FPS* SEAL: I was hot black leather speedo gay for 8 hours yesterday... and no one caught that?*BaldEagle: How fast can Congress spend money? It's like sending a bunch of drunk sailors into a brothel.*TurboFly03: I remember this mountain... I took a hooker roughly on.... wait... nope that was a fantasy* Ches111: Why the heck am I carrying around this hypnotized monkey? * DaSickNinja: I'd have better luck than SF if I had remembered to pull out

Comment

anything is possible but I did try a separate powersupply as well that I had running an i7 920 machine and that original MSI motherboard was still flaky. i guess i can try ebaying this powersupply and getting a g2 or other PSU. I already returned all other motherboards so am trying to get a new one at this point.

Comment

Jonnyguru gave the G2 units high marks. The 750w+ also come with a 10yr warranty. For a gold rated PSU, those would be my pick. The 5yr warranty, Bronze rated, B2 units are pretty decent too.
                  HAF 932 Advanced, Corsair TX750, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5 3570k @4.0ghz, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ares, 2x500gb 7200.12 Seagate, 2tb Samsung F4, Sapphire HD 7970 3gb; Rocketfish FT, Corsair HX650, Asrock P67 Extreme4, Core i5 2400 @3.5ghz, 8gb Gskill 1600 Ripjaws, 1TB Seagate ES2, 4x2tb Samsung in Raid5, Sapphire HD 5850 1gb; Diablotek Evo case, OCZ ModXtreme Pro 500w, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, FX 8320, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ripjaws, 750gb Samsung F1, Sapphire HD 5850; ASUS X53SV-RH51 Laptop, i5-2430M, 8GB Gskill 1333, 640GB, GT 540M* tool_462: Yeah, Farhang does all his threatening from a Graco stool, wearing a pink princess outfit, in between trips to his Easy Bake Oven. * Sailer: Personally, when I own a car, I like to drive it, not just see it during visiting hours at the dealership*Farhang: Easybake Oven > Playing Crysis @1920x1200 Max Details +60 FPS* SEAL: I was hot black leather speedo gay for 8 hours yesterday... and no one caught that?*BaldEagle: How fast can Congress spend money? It's like sending a bunch of drunk sailors into a brothel.*TurboFly03: I remember this mountain... I took a hooker roughly on.... wait... nope that was a fantasy* Ches111: Why the heck am I carrying around this hypnotized monkey? * DaSickNinja: I'd have better luck than SF if I had remembered to pull out

Comment

I'm hardpressed to find a review for the G1's anywhere (even bad ones) which bodes well to potentially reselling it easier . Do you have a link to what their failing is? I'm guessing unstable voltages?

Comment

Going by THG's tier list, they are Tier 3 units. The NexB and NexG are G1 PSU's. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...tier-list.html Jonnyguru gave the G2, 750w, a 9.8 out of 10.

Comment

Working...
                      X