Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

XCPUs.com's FOLDING NEEDS YOU!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have a new folding member, Delvin85, and I welcome him to the team.
    Over 60- Seen it, Done it, Can't remember it, but I miss it.
    The great economist Milton Friedman once observed, "Many people want government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.
    Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else.
    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito - Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it:

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/sailer...ang?fu=2315423

Comment

• Originally posted by Sailer View Post
      Bought another GTX780 Ti....
      A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds -- Emerson
      On Earth, what goes up tends to come down.

Here's more at my blog:
      http://findingourdream.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Bad news for the ASUS GTX780 Ti. It runs great for a little bit, then the fan drops silent. Opened up the ASUS Tweak and saw that the GPU runs at 96-97% for a minute or so and then drops to 0% for several seconds. Then it goes back to 96% for a bit. Wondered if it was overheating and throttling, but the temperature is consistent at about 73c while the limit is set at 83c. So it shouldn't be throttling, but it is. When the card worked well at first, it turned in about 276k PPD, but the PPD is going down to the level of the GTX770 that it replaced. Its getting worse as the days go by, so plan to RMA it next week.
        The great economist Milton Friedman once observed, "Many people want government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.
        Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else.
        Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito - Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it:

Comment

• Before you condemn the board, check to see what services are running. Sort them by CPU usage. See if the interrupts service is running a lot. (Like 10 or 12% of CPU usage which is about 1 virtual core @ 80 - 100%.) If it is then you may have a driver issue. Figuring out which driver is a lot tougher....
          You'll die a little bit on the inside this week, and a whole heck of a lot on the outside. - Virgo

Comment

• Ask them for a full RMA and just stick to the model that worked last time.
            "Katyr Pro+" Phenom II X6 1090T| Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3| EVGA GTX 660 2GB| 12GB DDR3| Samsung 830 128GB| WD Caviar Blue 750GB| Antec TruePower 650W| CoolerMaster N200 case| 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2311H| Win7
            "Sophia" Thinkpad Yoga| Core i3 4010U| Intel HD 4400| 4GB DDR3| Samsung 830 128GB| Intel 2x2 7260 802.11ac| 12.5" IPS semi-matte display| Wacom digitiser| Win8.1 U1
            "Scoot" Black Nexus 5 D820 32GB| Android 5.1.1
            "Cheyenne" Black Lumia 532 8GB| Sandisk 64GB| Win8.1| Sennheiser CX 300-II

Comment

• Originally posted by Gneisenau View Post
              Before you condemn the board, check to see what services are running. Sort them by CPU usage. See if the interrupts service is running a lot. (Like 10 or 12% of CPU usage which is about 1 virtual core @ 80 - 100%.) If it is then you may have a driver issue. Figuring out which driver is a lot tougher....

The particular computer does folding only, nothing else is running. I tried running with no CPU client, so only the GPU client is going. When I do that, the CPUs (this is an old SR-2 with two 6-core CPUs), there is very little change in the GPU client and the video card still cycles on and off. Driver is the same as both the other GTX780 TI and the Titan. Task Manager confirms that only Folding@Home is running. I'm only running 22 of the CPU cores, so I'm leaving 2 CPU cores open for the GPU to use. Both the other EVGA GTX780 TI or the Titan have the full number of CPU cores (6 each) running, so if anything, they would be at a disadvantage in that respect.

This morning the card is running fine, while it was afternoon and fairly hot in the house when I wrote yesterday. As a result, it does seem to be a heat related issue as far as the throttling goes. It just seems so weird that it throttles at 73c instead of allowing the 83c limit before it throttles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sailer View Post
                The particular computer does folding only, nothing else is running. I tried running with no CPU client, so only the GPU client is going. When I do that, the CPUs (this is an old SR-2 with two 6-core CPUs), there is very little change in the GPU client and the video card still cycles on and off. Driver is the same as both the other GTX780 TI and the Titan. Task Manager confirms that only Folding@Home is running. I'm only running 22 of the CPU cores, so I'm leaving 2 CPU cores open for the GPU to use. Both the other EVGA GTX780 TI or the Titan have the full number of CPU cores (6 each) running, so if anything, they would be at a disadvantage in that respect. This morning the card is running fine, while it was afternoon and fairly hot in the house when I wrote yesterday. As a result, it does seem to be a heat related issue as far as the throttling goes. It just seems so weird that it throttles at 73c instead of allowing the 83c limit before it throttles.
                I have the same problem with a computer at work I am working with IT to fix now. My research leads me to believe it's a driver issue. In one case it was a video driver acting up in another case I found it was an SATA driver acting up. The article I read mentioned a software utility you could download for free that showed exactly how much each driver was causing an interrupt. It seems like it's worth a shot anyway.
                You'll die a little bit on the inside this week, and a whole heck of a lot on the outside. - Virgo

Comment

• Like it or not, I'm shutting down another computer today to save electricity and to cut heat in the house. I'll be down to four computers folding. That's following a high of eleven computers that I used to use. Wish I could sell some of the old GPUs, CPUs and motherboards, but the old ones have been rendered so obsolete that its hard to even give them away. Oh well, that was to be expected. They served their purpose in their time and time stands still for no one. The funny thing is that I'll still be getting more PPD on four computers than I ever came close to getting with the eleven computers.

Comment

• What hardware do you have left over?
                    HAF 932 Advanced, Corsair TX750, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5 3570k @4.0ghz, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ares, 2x500gb 7200.12 Seagate, 2tb Samsung F4, Sapphire HD 7970 3gb; Rocketfish FT, Corsair HX650, Asrock P67 Extreme4, Core i5 2400 @3.5ghz, 8gb Gskill 1600 Ripjaws, 1TB Seagate ES2, 4x2tb Samsung in Raid5, Sapphire HD 5850 1gb; Diablotek Evo case, OCZ ModXtreme Pro 500w, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, FX 8320, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ripjaws, 750gb Samsung F1, Sapphire HD 5850; ASUS X53SV-RH51 Laptop, i5-2430M, 8GB Gskill 1333, 640GB, GT 540M* tool_462: Yeah, Farhang does all his threatening from a Graco stool, wearing a pink princess outfit, in between trips to his Easy Bake Oven. * Sailer: Personally, when I own a car, I like to drive it, not just see it during visiting hours at the dealership*Farhang: Easybake Oven > Playing Crysis @1920x1200 Max Details +60 FPS* SEAL: I was hot black leather speedo gay for 8 hours yesterday... and no one caught that?*BaldEagle: How fast can Congress spend money? It's like sending a bunch of drunk sailors into a brothel.*TurboFly03: I remember this mountain... I took a hooker roughly on.... wait... nope that was a fantasy* Ches111: Why the heck am I carrying around this hypnotized monkey? * DaSickNinja: I'd have better luck than SF if I had remembered to pull out

Comment

• I want to upgrade my Athlon 64 X2 computer lol.

It's socket AM2+ and supports up to a Phenom II X6.

Will pay actual cash. xD
                      "Katyr Pro+" Phenom II X6 1090T| Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3| EVGA GTX 660 2GB| 12GB DDR3| Samsung 830 128GB| WD Caviar Blue 750GB| Antec TruePower 650W| CoolerMaster N200 case| 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2311H| Win7
                      "Sophia" Thinkpad Yoga| Core i3 4010U| Intel HD 4400| 4GB DDR3| Samsung 830 128GB| Intel 2x2 7260 802.11ac| 12.5" IPS semi-matte display| Wacom digitiser| Win8.1 U1

Comment

• Originally posted by Gneisenau View Post
                        I have the same problem with a computer at work I am working with IT to fix now. My research leads me to believe it's a driver issue. In one case it was a video driver acting up in another case I found it was an SATA driver acting up. The article I read mentioned a software utility you could download for free that showed exactly how much each driver was causing an interrupt. It seems like it's worth a shot anyway.
                        FYI, after doing a BIOS and driver update on my computer at work the issue stopped. So it appears that in fact my issue was caused by a rogue driver.

Comment

• Sometimes I really wonder about the electric bills. I turned a computer off a couple weeks ago, and my electric bill has gone up. It really makes a person wonder, "Why bother?"

Comment

• Buy you own solar panel.

Electric companiues charge what they like now.

Comment

• I wish I could get soloar panels, but lots going against the idea. First, it would probably cost in the area of $10,000, maybe a bit more to outfit my house. Even at that, I could only expect a little over $100 a month saved, so the payback is about eight and a half years. Ouch. Then there's the HOA. Last I looked, solar panels aren't approved. Maybe I could get a variance, maybe not. Besides that, I want sell my house and move. So I'm stuck for it now.

On a side note, I'm getting a list of computer hardware and will post it in the "Classified & Sales" thread. In some cases, for giveaway to anyone who wants to pay the shipping fee.

Yes, I have a nice AMD 1090T chip in a ASUS Crosshair 3 mobo. I have no idea what the shipping cost to Australia would be. Its rated as AM3 and supposedly will take one of the Bulldozer/Piledriver chips with a BIOS upgrade.

Motherboards - CROSSHAIR III FORMULA

Comment

• I have both an AM3+ 880G motherboard already that's 100% 1090t compatible so I don't particularly need the ASUS motherboard nor do I have any ATX case to house it.

I have a reliable friend who is sending a package from New York to Australia for me and my friends (how I got my EVGA GTX 660). That should help cut down on the shipping fee. Just means it will take a little longer for my little SYBA PEX controller to arrive :3.

Solar panels used to be state-subsidised. I was just curious if they were in the States.
                                Last edited by Violet_wind; 05-11-2014, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X