Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

XCPUs.com's FOLDING NEEDS YOU!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did a review on Newegg about the GTX780 Ti and got a response from ASUS. I emailed ASUS this reply, Now to wait for their response. I also included a picture of the AMD monitor which showed the GPU usage at 83% and then dropping to 0% for an extended time. Hope that gets their attention that something is drastically wrong.

Dear sir,

I made a review on Newegg and I had this response:

"Greetings Fred K,

Thank you for taking your time to update us regarding your ASUS purchase.

If you have not contacted ASUS already, I would be more than happy to assist you in this matter. Please contact me through email, including both the reference number and serial number within the subject line, and we can look into this case further. 3684213.

Regards,

Mark
    ASUS Customer Loyalty
    cl-mark@asus.com"

The problem that is occurring is that the GTX780 Ti that I bought from ASUS consistently drops to 0% GPU usage and usually runs between 87 to 89% GPU usage. I use this card, along with several other video cards in other computers, for Folding at Home. All the other cards, whether made by ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, or Zotac run between 97 to 99% GPU usage. I do not know exactly why the AUSD GTX780 Ti card is cutting out like this, but its far from what I would expect. I an including a photo attachment that I took this morning of the card performance as recorded by the ASUS/AMD supplied graphics card monitor. As you should be able to see, the card is not performing well at all, dropping to 0% GPU usage for an extended length of time. I have never seen this type of thing occur before.

The temperature of the card has consistently run about 73c, so should not be throttling due to overheat. In my opinion, something is wrong with this card. I had first tried the 335.23 driver, but that produced a poor result, so I went to the driver version 334.89 which I am using on my other GTX780 Ti and my GTX Titan.with good results.

Fred Knudsen
    Over 60- Seen it, Done it, Can't remember it, but I miss it.
    The great economist Milton Friedman once observed, "Many people want government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.
    Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else.
    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito - Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it:

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/sailer...ang?fu=2315423

Comment

• Hope ASUS takes care of you Fred. Keep us up to date
      Deskop: Core i7 920|P6T Deluxe V2|R9 290|X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional|12 GB DDR3 1600|X-25M 80 GB|2 x 160 GB RAID 0|2 x 1.5 TB RAID 1|RocketRaid 640 with 2 x 3 TB RAID 1|Corsair HX850 WATT PSU|Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit|Silverstone TJ-09BW w/ USB 3.0 mod|Dell U2410 24" 1920x1200|Creative G500 5.1 Speakers|Logitech G15v2|Logitech G5
      HTPC/Gaming: FX8320|Crosshair V Formula-Z
      |R9 270X 4GB|8 GB DDR3 1600|2 x 250 GB RAID 0|SeaSonic SSR-650RM PSU|Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit|SilverStone LC10B-E USB 3.0
      HP ENVY 17-1011NR: Core i7 720QM|HM55 Chipset|USB 3.0|Mobility Radeon HD 5850|8 GB DDR3 1333|2 x 320 GB|Blu-Ray|Back-lit keyboard with num pad|Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit|17.3" HP Ultra BrightView Infinity LED 1920x1080
      Old School: Athlon 64 3200+|K8N-E Deluxe|GeForce 6800|2 GB DDR 400|200 GB|PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 WATT PSU|Windows XP Professional 32-bit|Thermaltake Shark

Apple iPhone 6 64 GB iOS 8.3
      Lenovo Ideapad K1 Android 4.1.1 with root

Game consoles: PlayStation
      |XBOX|PlayStation 2|GameCube|XBOX 360|PlayStation 3|Wii|GameBoy Advance SP|3DS|PlayStation Portable|PlayStation Vita|XBOX One|PlayStation 4

Comment

• The person from ASUS seems to be in denial or something. He wrote back asking these questions:

What program are you using to stress test the card? Also how are you monitoring the card?
        In my first reply, I told him (ASUS) that I was using Folding at Home, which stresses the card heavily, and I said that I was using the AMD monitor that was supplied by ASUS with the card. I even attached a picture of the monitor showing it running at 87% and then diving to 0%.

This is so different from the last time I dealt with ASUS, in which a motherboard I bought came with bent pins. That time ASUS sent a new motherboard with no questions asked.
        The great economist Milton Friedman once observed, "Many people want government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.
        Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else.
        Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito - Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it:

Comment

• That is the problem with doing phone support. Reminds me back when I was talking to Chevrolet (corporate) and the first person I talked to said that GM would buy my car back. The next day, when I did a call back, I talked to a different person that told me that that was not going to be possible. You could imagine how livid I was.

Maybe you should try to open the case again. Perhaps you will get someone else who will take care of you and who knows, send you two cards as a replacement instead of one
          Deskop: Core i7 920|P6T Deluxe V2|R9 290|X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional|12 GB DDR3 1600|X-25M 80 GB|2 x 160 GB RAID 0|2 x 1.5 TB RAID 1|RocketRaid 640 with 2 x 3 TB RAID 1|Corsair HX850 WATT PSU|Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit|Silverstone TJ-09BW w/ USB 3.0 mod|Dell U2410 24" 1920x1200|Creative G500 5.1 Speakers|Logitech G15v2|Logitech G5
          |R9 270X 4GB|8 GB DDR3 1600|2 x 250 GB RAID 0|SeaSonic SSR-650RM PSU|Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit|SilverStone LC10B-E USB 3.0
          HP ENVY 17-1011NR: Core i7 720QM|HM55 Chipset|USB 3.0|Mobility Radeon HD 5850|8 GB DDR3 1333|2 x 320 GB|Blu-Ray|Back-lit keyboard with num pad|Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit|17.3" HP Ultra BrightView Infinity LED 1920x1080
          Old School: Athlon 64 3200+|K8N-E Deluxe|GeForce 6800|2 GB DDR 400|200 GB|PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 WATT PSU|Windows XP Professional 32-bit|Thermaltake Shark

|XBOX|PlayStation 2|GameCube|XBOX 360|PlayStation 3|Wii|GameBoy Advance SP|3DS|PlayStation Portable|PlayStation Vita|XBOX One|PlayStation 4

Comment

• This isn't by phone, but by email. But yes, I'm getting ticked off by this and if it comes to no good, ASUS will loose a customer. I'll be back to EVGA and Zotac for graphics cards. EVGA never posed a problem for a RMA and I haven't has to RMA a Zotac. HIS also did well, but I haven't seen either a GTX780 TI or Titan from HIS.

Comment

• HIS is AMD only, isn't it?

I dunno about you but I've had some pretty poor service from Sapphire. Tech support tends not to care about weird issues - often just dismiss it as user error.

I would try and phone them to get things sorted out.

If not can you RMA it directly to Newegg? Or perhaps eat a restocking fee?
              "Katyr Pro+" Phenom II X6 1090T| Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3| EVGA GTX 660 2GB| 12GB DDR3| Samsung 830 128GB| WD Caviar Blue 750GB| Antec TruePower 650W| CoolerMaster N200 case| 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2311H| Win7
              "Sophia" Thinkpad Yoga| Core i3 4010U| Intel HD 4400| 4GB DDR3| Samsung 830 128GB| Intel 2x2 7260 802.11ac| 12.5" IPS semi-matte display| Wacom digitiser| Win8.1 U1
              "Scoot" Black Nexus 5 D820 32GB| Android 5.1.1
              "Cheyenne" Black Lumia 532 8GB| Sandisk 64GB| Win8.1| Sennheiser CX 300-II

Comment

• HIS may be AMD only. I haven't bought one of their cards for a few years. After my experiences with Sapphire, I refuse to buy one of their cards again.

I can try Newegg again, but the restocking fee hurts the pocketbook. The card works, but it only folds at 87-89% GPU usage. So I'll stick with either EVGA or Zotac after this.

ASUS wrote back today and said to run Furmark. Furmark ran for about a minute and got the GPU up to 99% usage, so no RMA allowed. I'm kind of ticked off at the moment. Fine, one minute and the card doesn't fail, but constant load and it drops to 0 periodically. So forget dealing with ASUS.

Comment

• Tell them that it's unacceptable that you can't use your card for your intended purpose.

It's about as valid as selling a car without brakes. Whilst it might technically work as a car - it doesn't work for its intended purpose and there's no point in saying "hey look it moves just fine 100 mph - so no refund sir".

It simply doesn't make sense.
                  "Katyr Pro+" Phenom II X6 1090T| Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3| EVGA GTX 660 2GB| 12GB DDR3| Samsung 830 128GB| WD Caviar Blue 750GB| Antec TruePower 650W| CoolerMaster N200 case| 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2311H| Win7
                  "Sophia" Thinkpad Yoga| Core i3 4010U| Intel HD 4400| 4GB DDR3| Samsung 830 128GB| Intel 2x2 7260 802.11ac| 12.5" IPS semi-matte display| Wacom digitiser| Win8.1 U1
                  "Scoot" Black Nexus 5 D820 32GB| Android 5.1.1
                  "Cheyenne" Black Lumia 532 8GB| Sandisk 64GB| Win8.1| Sennheiser CX 300-II

Comment

• I have never had an issue with my Sapphire cards. They have been top notch. Also, as an FYI, supposedly the R9 290 is a decent folding card. Over 100k ppd I believe.
                    HAF 932 Advanced, Corsair TX750, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5 3570k @4.0ghz, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ares, 2x500gb 7200.12 Seagate, 2tb Samsung F4, Sapphire HD 7970 3gb; Rocketfish FT, Corsair HX650, Asrock P67 Extreme4, Core i5 2400 @3.5ghz, 8gb Gskill 1600 Ripjaws, 1TB Seagate ES2, 4x2tb Samsung in Raid5, Sapphire HD 5850 1gb; Diablotek Evo case, OCZ ModXtreme Pro 500w, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, FX 8320, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ripjaws, 750gb Samsung F1, Sapphire HD 5850; ASUS X53SV-RH51 Laptop, i5-2430M, 8GB Gskill 1333, 640GB, GT 540M* tool_462: Yeah, Farhang does all his threatening from a Graco stool, wearing a pink princess outfit, in between trips to his Easy Bake Oven. * Sailer: Personally, when I own a car, I like to drive it, not just see it during visiting hours at the dealership*Farhang: Easybake Oven > Playing Crysis @1920x1200 Max Details +60 FPS* SEAL: I was hot black leather speedo gay for 8 hours yesterday... and no one caught that?*BaldEagle: How fast can Congress spend money? It's like sending a bunch of drunk sailors into a brothel.*TurboFly03: I remember this mountain... I took a hooker roughly on.... wait... nope that was a fantasy* Ches111: Why the heck am I carrying around this hypnotized monkey? * DaSickNinja: I'd have better luck than SF if I had remembered to pull out

Comment

• I'm back; back in the front page news and in the top 100. From http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...hp?s=&u=355097

100 Sailer XCPUs.com 987,074 518,333,216 0 0 0

Comment

• After months of Fahcore 17 on the GPU client, all of a sudden I've been getting nothing but core 15s for the past couple weeks which has dropped my PPD to a third of what it was even after adding a 5th computer for folding. Wish Stanford would start issuing core 17s again. What's happening now is ridiculous.

Comment

• Ok, Stanford started issuing Fahcore 17s again. With the colder weather the past several days, I also fired up another computer to help keep the house warm. That 5th computer got me a new weekly record PPD.

10.12.14 7,448,216 297

Hard for me to imagine it, but I averaged over 1,000,000 PPD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sailer View Post
                            Ok, Stanford started issuing Fahcore 17s again. With the colder weather the past several days, I also fired up another computer to help keep the house warm. That 5th computer got me a new weekly record PPD.

10.12.14 7,448,216 297

wow. :-)
                            A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds -- Emerson
                            On Earth, what goes up tends to come down.

Here's more at my blog:
                            http://findingourdream.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sailer View Post
                              Ok, Stanford started issuing Fahcore 17s again. With the colder weather the past several days, I also fired up another computer to help keep the house warm. That 5th computer got me a new weekly record PPD.

10.12.14 7,448,216 297

Well done Sailer!

Comment

• I bought a GTX980 and installed today. Its getting 296,280 PPD. In comparison, the GTX780 Ti cards get about 215-220,00 PPD. So I think this is a decent step up. Using just the GPU client alone, this computer is getting more PPD than any of my other computers using both CPU and GPU clients running a GTX780 Ti except the SR-2 with a GTX780 Ti. The next really nice thing is that its supposed to use less power, run cooler, and make less noise. All that combined makes this a very good card for folding in my opinion.

Now this leaves me wondering how good the PPD would be if Nvidia released a GTX980 Ti? That will likely be next year if it happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X