Announcement

Collapse

Welcome Back!

I apologize for not getting this up and done sooner. Needless to say the forums, and the front page got hacked, we since then have locked things down, and things appear to be better over all.

I was able to get the front page done sooner, but the forums with all of its data was MUCH more difficult to deal with. Needless to say, I just finished it! YAHOO!

Just in time with Facebook about to take a nose dive, and doing other crazy things to people. (Censorship, etc etc).
See more
See less

XCPUs.com's FOLDING NEEDS YOU!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sailer View Post
    I bought a GTX980 and installed today. Its getting 296,280 PPD. In comparison, the GTX780 Ti cards get about 215-220,00 PPD. So I think this is a decent step up. Using just the GPU client alone, this computer is getting more PPD than any of my other computers using both CPU and GPU clients running a GTX780 Ti except the SR-2 with a GTX780 Ti. The next really nice thing is that its supposed to use less power, run cooler, and make less noise. All that combined makes this a very good card for folding in my opinion.

Now this leaves me wondering how good the PPD would be if Nvidia released a GTX980 Ti? That will likely be next year if it happens.
    :-0 :-)

Impressive really. What a awesome card.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds -- Emerson
    On Earth, what goes up tends to come down.

Here's more at my blog:
    http://findingourdream.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I probably won't buy another video card until next year, and hopefully a GTX980 Ti will be released by that time. One bad thing at the moment is that Stanford has just swamped me with a lot of core 15 WUs. To make it worse, Stanford is no longer giving a bonus for completing a core 15 faster than required, so the PPD with the 980 plunged to 81,000. Might as well be running an old GTX460 or 560 Ti.

One nice thing is that with the weather turning colder, the computers are keeping the house warm without turning on the furnace.

So all of you others who haven't been folding because summer is too hot, now is the time to fold when you're not using your computers for gaming. Come on, get a bit of team spirit! We used to have so many people folding, but there's only three of us left who are active.
      Over 60- Seen it, Done it, Can't remember it, but I miss it.
      The great economist Milton Friedman once observed, "Many people want government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.
      Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else.
      Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito - Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it:

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/sailer...ang?fu=2315423

Comment

• I might start up folding again, but need to get some Nvidia GPU's first, to do much good. Not really had the extra cash lately for stuff.
        Last edited by logain; 10-31-2014, 08:38 AM.
        HAF 932 Advanced, Corsair TX750, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5 3570k @4.0ghz, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ares, 2x500gb 7200.12 Seagate, 2tb Samsung F4, Sapphire HD 7970 3gb; Rocketfish FT, Corsair HX650, Asrock P67 Extreme4, Core i5 2400 @3.5ghz, 8gb Gskill 1600 Ripjaws, 1TB Seagate ES2, 4x2tb Samsung in Raid5, Sapphire HD 5850 1gb; Diablotek Evo case, OCZ ModXtreme Pro 500w, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, FX 8320, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ripjaws, 750gb Samsung F1, Sapphire HD 5850; ASUS X53SV-RH51 Laptop, i5-2430M, 8GB Gskill 1333, 640GB, GT 540M* tool_462: Yeah, Farhang does all his threatening from a Graco stool, wearing a pink princess outfit, in between trips to his Easy Bake Oven. * Sailer: Personally, when I own a car, I like to drive it, not just see it during visiting hours at the dealership*Farhang: Easybake Oven > Playing Crysis @1920x1200 Max Details +60 FPS* SEAL: I was hot black leather speedo gay for 8 hours yesterday... and no one caught that?*BaldEagle: How fast can Congress spend money? It's like sending a bunch of drunk sailors into a brothel.*TurboFly03: I remember this mountain... I took a hooker roughly on.... wait... nope that was a fantasy* Ches111: Why the heck am I carrying around this hypnotized monkey? * DaSickNinja: I'd have better luck than SF if I had remembered to pull out

Comment

• Right now, Stanford is releasing a a new load of core 15 WUs, so you could run them with a GTX460. Then again, I have some Nvidia cards for sale cheap.
          Last edited by Sailer; 11-04-2014, 10:26 AM.
          The great economist Milton Friedman once observed, "Many people want government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.
          Remember, the government cannot give anything to anyone that they have not first taken away from someone else.
          Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito - Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it:

Comment

• Yea, my bronco, and trying to save for my winter trip has had me a bit cash strapped lately.
            HAF 932 Advanced, Corsair TX750, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5 3570k @4.0ghz, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ares, 2x500gb 7200.12 Seagate, 2tb Samsung F4, Sapphire HD 7970 3gb; Rocketfish FT, Corsair HX650, Asrock P67 Extreme4, Core i5 2400 @3.5ghz, 8gb Gskill 1600 Ripjaws, 1TB Seagate ES2, 4x2tb Samsung in Raid5, Sapphire HD 5850 1gb; Diablotek Evo case, OCZ ModXtreme Pro 500w, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3, FX 8320, 8gb Gskill 2133 Ripjaws, 750gb Samsung F1, Sapphire HD 5850; ASUS X53SV-RH51 Laptop, i5-2430M, 8GB Gskill 1333, 640GB, GT 540M* tool_462: Yeah, Farhang does all his threatening from a Graco stool, wearing a pink princess outfit, in between trips to his Easy Bake Oven. * Sailer: Personally, when I own a car, I like to drive it, not just see it during visiting hours at the dealership*Farhang: Easybake Oven > Playing Crysis @1920x1200 Max Details +60 FPS* SEAL: I was hot black leather speedo gay for 8 hours yesterday... and no one caught that?*BaldEagle: How fast can Congress spend money? It's like sending a bunch of drunk sailors into a brothel.*TurboFly03: I remember this mountain... I took a hooker roughly on.... wait... nope that was a fantasy* Ches111: Why the heck am I carrying around this hypnotized monkey? * DaSickNinja: I'd have better luck than SF if I had remembered to pull out

Comment

• I'm coming up in the world.

______________________________PPD____total points
              90 Sailer XCPUs.com 1,073,257 618,679,176

But we need more people folding. There are only three of us left on the team who fold. I know that some people here have cards that can fold and use their computers for thing other than gaming. When not laying a game, fold and get some points. Its winter after all, and you could use some extra heat in your house.

Comment

• A bit of GPU review here that should have use for those interested in gaming as well.

A few months ago, I bought a GTX980. Besides using a fair amount less electricity than a GTX780 Ti, it produces about 318,000 PPD in comparison to the GTX780 Ti producing about 240,000 PPD. It also runs about 20c cooler (66c) while running a fan speed of 17% and clocked at 1394mhz. That low fan speed is also nice as you can barely hear it at all. Though a bit pricy at about $550-560, the production seems well worth the cost. If nothing else, the lower cost for electricity will help pay for the card.

Another a card that I later bought is a GTX970. This card runs similar to the GTX980 when considering temperature, low fan speed, less noise, and low electricity usage. It costs about $330 -350. For gamers, I'd guess that it would run most games as nice as you would want. The drawback for folding is that it doesn't fold any higher PPD than a GTX780 Ti, again turning about 240,000 PPD. Its only saving graces over the GTX780 Ti is that it uses less electricity while running cooler and producing less noise, and is about $200 less than a GTX780 Ti. If you have a GTX780 Ti now, I would advise to either got a GTX980 or don't bother buying a GTX970.

Comment

• So I have an unused GTX780 Ti sitting around and no computer to put it in. Then the idea occurred, why not put it in as a second card in one of the computers. Sounds good, except Gigabyte placed the slot for the second card so close to the bottom of the board that the card won't fit without crushing all the wires for the switches; power, reset, speaker, etc. I really wish that the motherboard companies would make boards that are fully usable and not just ones that have slots which are useless. Well, I guess the solution is to get one of the old retired computers out and use it, but that seems ridiculous to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sailer View Post
                    So I have an unused GTX780 Ti sitting around and no computer to put it in. Then the idea occurred, why not put it in as a second card in one of the computers. Sounds good, except Gigabyte placed the slot for the second card so close to the bottom of the board that the card won't fit without crushing all the wires for the switches; power, reset, speaker, etc. I really wish that the motherboard companies would make boards that are fully usable and not just ones that have slots which are useless. Well, I guess the solution is to get one of the old retired computers out and use it, but that seems ridiculous to me.
                    Extender cable perhaps? http://www.amazon.com/PCI-E-Express-...sin=B008BZBFTG http://www.overclock.net/t/1427731/p...es-benchmarked

Comment

• Never heard of that, but its an interesting concept. Thanks for the tip, Afrodisiac.

Comment

• There's been a disturbing turn in Folding and Stanford. When I bought my GTX980 and GTX970 cards, they did great. The GTX980 got about 310,000 PPD and the GTX970 got about 265,000 PPD while running FAHCore 17s and 18s. Better yet, they did it while using less electricity then the GTX780 Ti cards, making them a win-win card. Then suddenly they stopped working, or rather, they would only work with FAHCore 15s. Worse, the FAHCore 15s no longer received an early return bonus which resulted in the GTX980 getting only about 100,000 PPD and the GTX970 getting 80,000 PPD. These PPD numbers are worse than the old GTX770 cards as the GTX770 can still run FAHCore 17 and 18 projects. Literally overnight, my daily PPD dropped from a 1.2 million PPD to only 900,000 PPD. In the past couple days I swapped out the GTX980 and GTX970 a GTX780 Ti and a GTX Titan Black which I had earlier replaced. Hopefully my PPD will head back to normal within a few days.

The Folding.org website claimed that the problem was the Nvidia drivers and that Nvidia needed to change its drivers so that the GTX9xx series cards would work with FAHCore 17 and 18. This claim does not hold water. The GTX9xx cards had been folding great with FAHCore 17x and 18s. It isn't that the Nvidia drivers changed or weren't capable because they had been working fine. The only explanation that makes sense is that Stanford changed the code for how the FAHCores were written so that they couldn't run FAHCore 17 and 18 projects. It doesn't make sense to me why Stanford would do that, but apparently that's what happened.

Comment

• By steady perseverance, I'm getting up there/

75 Sailer XCPUs.com 1,316,969 791,639,408 0 0 0

All the team needs is some more people folding. Only half a dozen or so are active. Anyone should be able to contribute a little bit, at least when you got your computer on and not playing a game.

Comment

• Got a 2 million point day. FAH has finally addressed the problem with the projects and the GTX9xx cards, so they are folding at full speed now.

06.16.15 2,111,807 points 97 WUs

Sure wish a few people would start folding again. There's only a couple of us left and its getting mighty lonely. Hey, Brent and Mike and a few of the others; you got me started folding a few years ago and stressed the need to fold. Why did you quit?

Comment

• http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...sername=Sailer

Yes, I can now say I'm a billionaire. Too bad its a folding billionaire and not having a billion dollars, but that's life.

Sad to see that only one other person on XCPUS is still folding. We used to have so many people folding, and folding is one of the reasons this site was built long ago. Miss the Commander as well. He was so much into folding and then suddenly quit. It doesn't take a lot of fold, even just getting one WU a day is something, and something is better than nothing.
                              Last edited by Sailer; 09-14-2015, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Nice work!
                                1: Main Rig - eVGA Classified SR-2 | 2 x Xeon X5670 @ 4.05GHz | 12GB Mushkin PC3-1600 DDR3 | OCZ IBIS 240GB RAID SSD | ATI Radeon 5770 1GB | Dual Dell 3007WFP-HC Monitors
                                2: Server - eVGA X58 SLI | L5640 @ 4GHz | 6GB OCZ PC3-1866 DDR3 | Intl X25-M G2 80GB OS Drive | 6 x 1.5TB Seagate 7200.11 RAID 10

Comment

Working...
                                X